Trusted Contributor

Re: Wedding etiquette in greeting guests

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

After the ceremony, there should be a receiving line where guests pass the bride and groom and will offer their congratulations and best wishes.

At the reception, the bride and groom should make their way around to greet their guests and thank them for coming.  

This is our tradition.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen receiving lines done in a long time. Most couples goes around and greet.

Also, if you have a dj, they can thank the guests for you or  the couple can talk  on the microphone.

I can't imagine a wedding without a dj or a live band. boring.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I haven't seen receiving lines done in a long time. Most couples goes around and greet.

Also, if you have a dj, they can thank the guests for you or  the couple can talk  on the microphone.

@missy1 wrote:

We didn't have either, nor did we have an open bar, and we had a lovely wedding.  Plus, IMO, the wedding isn't about the party, it's about supporting the couple who are committing their lives to one another.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had a receiving line outside of the church after the ceremony and also visited our guests tableside at the reception.

Why two you may ask.  We had people who attended the church service only, and other guests who only came to the reception.

Honored Contributor

A receiving line would probably be the easiest way to meet and thank the guests for attending.  Sometimes round tables placed more in the center of all of the tables' area are difficult to maneuver, mainly because of the bride's wedding dress becoming snagged and tangled with chairs, etc., which I've seen happen over and over again. So, I'd say, the easiest, fastest way to greet the guests would be a receiving line, as the guests enter the reception. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

we had a dj because we had to have so many different types of music....and i wanted EVERYONE to get up and have at least one dance. i have never been to a wedding without a dj or a band......and some people do BOTH.

last wedding we went to (italian) the father of the bride spoke, the mother of the bride spoke, the groom spoke, and the bride spoke......and so did the maid of honor and the best man.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

We had a receiving line outside of the church after the ceremony and also visited our guests tableside at the reception.

Why two you may ask.  We had people who attended the church service only, and other guests who only came to the reception.

Why weren't they all at the entire event? 

Esteemed Contributor

We had a huge wedding and we went for table to table and thanked everyone. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

We didn't have either, nor did we have an open bar, and we had a lovely wedding.  Plus, IMO, the wedding isn't about the party, it's about supporting the couple who are committing their lives to one another.  

I look at it differently. I wanted my guests to eat, have an open bar, and enjoy some music. How do you fill the hours without entertainment of some sort? The dj made the day flow, and engaged the guests. My guests showing up from their busy schedules/life is enough support IMO.

Respected Contributor

After the ceremony many couples then go have their pictures taken while the guests are at the cocktail hour so having a receiving line would be difficult.

I would think the best option then would be to go around to the tables when dinner is served.

We didn't get to eat at our wedding as we being herded around. It wasn't very relaxing or enjoyable for us. Too many bossy parents.

There has to be a happy medium.