Super Contributor

Wedding etiquette in greeting guests

Is it up to the bride & groom to greet guests or should it be up to the guests to approach & greet the bride & groom?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding etiquette in greeting guests

The bride and groom should do that.

Anyone that hosts a party should personally greet their guests.

Honored Contributor

either way works......most weddings i have been to have had a receiving line OR the bride/groom go to the tables to greet and thank guests.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I agree - if guests are seated at tables during the reception, the bride and groom should visit each one.

If guests are not seated at specific tables (a cocktail-type reception), then there should be a receiving line with the bride and groom and their parents (or close family members) when guests enter. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We did not have assigned tables so we did a receiving line. We also tried to speak to everyone at some point for a few min but with everyone milling about you are sure to miss people.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not seen a receiving line in decades.

Many of the weddings we have been to, the couple did not go around to greet the guests, such poor manners.  I enjoy and thank the ones who do spend the time to go around and talk to their guests.

Respected Contributor

If there is a receiving line, the guests approach the couple.  If not, or in addition, the couple should go around to each guest.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I think absolutely it is up to the bride and groom to approach the guests at the rececption, even if there already was a receiving line. The newlyweds should be showing gratitiude to the people that took the time to travel to the event, whether near of far. Most if not all will give gifts. Whatever the current etiquette may be, I think it is kind of selfish to not greet the guests, and really the newlyweds should just be doing this as a natural act with no need to question hhmmm what should we do.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart" Anne Frank
Honored Contributor

I would think it depends on the size of the wedding.  If it is a very big wedding it would be virtually impossible to greet every one without a receiving line, and guests I would think would not expect a personal greeting.  In that case, guests would make a point of going up to the couple for a hug, hand shake, or simple "Congratulations!  It was a beautiful wedding.  Thank you for inviting us" and move along.

Small wedding?  Yes, they should greet guests either in a line or by seeking them out.

We did not have an issue with that.  We were poor and it was a cake and punch reception for about 35 people all crammed into mom's house.  You couldn't msis anyone if you tried!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter one way or the other.  It depends on the circumstances.