Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding etiquette in greeting guests

[ Edited ]

@Melania

In response to your question.

They were all invited to the church service and reception.  

I know one of my work associates had other commitments for that evening and some elderly relatives were not physically up to attending the reception.   

Our reception venue was about 20 miles from the church and I certainly understood anyone not attending an evening reception and having to drive home in an unfamiliar area after dark.

Many of our work associates and friends decided to skip the church ceremony and attend the reception only.    I didn't have an issue with that because I have seen it so often at other weddings.  Some people just don't want to be tied up all day so they come to the reception only.

Respected Contributor

Most church weddings we've attended have a receiving line in the church entry or outside the church, after the ceremony. When the ceremony is at the reception venue, there usually isn't a receiving line.

Regardless of whether or not there is a reception line, I think the newlyweds should visit all tables during the reception.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Melania

I know one of my work associates had other commitments for that evening and some elderly relatives were not physically up to attending the reception.   

Our reception venue was about 20 miles from the church and I certainly understood anyone not attending an evening reception and having to drive home in an unfamiliar area after dark.

Many of our work associates and friends decided to skip the church ceremony and attend the reception only.    I didn't have an issue with that because I have seen it so often at other weddings.  Some people just don't want to be tied up all day so they come to the reception only.

We discussed this on here before. In case you missed it......It is so rude/inconvenient IMO to have  the ceremony and the reception to have a big time gap in between them...... Even a far distance between the two is also rude.

Esteemed Contributor

I distinctly remember one wedding I attended where once the cocktail hour ended the guests were moved into the main dining room where we all sat at tables for half an hour waiting for the B&G to return from having photographs taken before they started dinner service.  This couple never went around to see any of their guests.  My DH and I got up later during the reception to use rhe restroom off the lobby and ran into the groom who we have known since he was born.  As we stood their chatting the bride came out and without so much as a glance or a word to us starting tugging on the grooms arm telling him he had to go back into the reception to cut the cake.  How rude she was.  They spent the entire time mixing and mingling with their wedding party and could not spare so much as a moment to greet their guests.  When my daughter was married I gave her strict instructions that she and her groom were to get up and visit every single table which they did.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I like a small wedding with the people who mean the most to you in attendance.I think that makes it so much more special than a crowd of gift givers.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes there's a formal reception line.  The last weddings that I have attended, the bride and groom went around to each table during the reception.

Respected Contributor

Traditionally a receiving line is formed to greet guests as they arrive for the reception.

The 'lineup is also traditional and may be found in even modern books on wedding etiquette.

Martha Stewart or Emily Post's books are good for reference.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@Melania

We discussed this on here before. In case you missed it......It is so rude/inconvenient IMO to have  the ceremony and the reception to have a big time gap in between them...... Even a far distance between the two is also rude.

@missy1  While I agree with you, we didn't have much of a choice unless we changed the date of our wedding.  His church could not accomodate us, so we had to have the service performed at my church.The only thing we could have done differently was to have the ceremony performed at the reception venue.  But it was important to my husband and his family to have a high mass.  We did the best we could under the circumstances and certainly did not intentionally mean to inconvenience or be rude to our guests.  We didn't dawdle around with wedding photos so our guests really didn't wait long for our arrival, perhaps no more than 1/2 hour.

I was thrilled to see how many of our guests attended the ceremony, the church was 75% full, our reception was also well attended.  We had 200 people attend of the 230 invited.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

probably a receiving line at the reception makes it likely that most guests are greeted.  an old tradition -  but a logical one.  it makes sure that certain members of the family are introduced.  since the reception is the family's party, it is nice to welcome one's guests.  the bride and groom can also circulate once the reception is in full swing for special personal greetings.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@Melania

@missy1  While I agree with you, we didn't have much of a choice unless we changed the date of our wedding.  His church could not accomodate us, so we had to have the service performed at my church.The only thing we could have done differently was to have the ceremony performed at the reception venue.  But it was important to my husband and his family to have a high mass.  We did the best we could under the circumstances and certainly did not intentionally mean to inconvenience or be rude to our guests.  We didn't dawdle around with wedding photos so our guests really didn't wait long for our arrival, perhaps no more than 1/2 hour.

I was thrilled to see how many of our guests attended the ceremony, the church was 75% full, our reception was also well attended.  We had 200 people attend of the 230 invited.

@Allegheny IMO 20 miles in that far.

I was just making a general statement.

I have never been to a wedding where there were hours gaps between the wedding/reception, nor have I driven that far between the two places.  I had mine in both the same locations. No driving for the guests. (only to get there) Not all couples can do that.