Honored Contributor

Wedding bouquet laid on tomb of Unknown Warrior - royal tradition

Following Royal tradition The Duchess of Sussex's wedding bouquet is laid on the grave of the Unknown Warrior in the west nave of Westminster Abbey in London.

from royal - UK wedding traditions

"Almost 100 years ago, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (known as Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother) established a long-held Royal Wedding tradition. As Lady Elizabeth entered Westminster Abbey on her wedding day, the Royal bride stopped to lay her flowers at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. The gesture was in remembrance of her own brother, Fergus, who died at the Battle of Loos in 1915 and to pay tribute to the millions of others killed and injured in World War I. 

"As Lady Elizabeth laid her flowers on the tomb as soon as she entered the abbey, she was the only Royal bride to actually walk down the aisle without her bouquet. Many Royal brides have adapted the gesture since then, laying their flowers on the tomb as they leave the church instead of when they enter." 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding bouquet laid on tomb of Unknown Warrior - royal tradition

Very nice tradition which I wasn’t aware. Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

Just one more thing about this wedding I love ....

Respected Contributor

That is a lovely gesture and tradition. I did notice she had her bouquet for royal portraits. By the way, the portraits are exquisite, in my opinion. I love the simplicity of the bouquet. Perhaps a copy of bouquet left in church.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
That is a lovely gesture and tradition. I did notice she had her bouquet for royal portraits. By the way, the portraits are exquisite, in my opinion. I love the simplicity of the bouquet. Perhaps a copy of bouquet left in church.

She wouldn't have been able to leave her flowers at Westminster Abbey until the couple returned to London, the day after the wedding. Windsor is about 100 miles from there.

Respected Contributor

Ahh, my ignorance of all of these historical places and wedding details is showing. Anyway, lovely tradition. Wonder how all these traditions and details are kept for future generations to know and follow!!
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach,

Such a nice tradition, thanks for posting,

https://textimages.us/nice-day/nice-day01/have-a-nice-day-050.gif