Respected Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Yes it is the "request" . This isn't a child Santa,s list.

Do you see the gift registry as a child's Santa list too? I do, so I think they're equally tacky and ought to be accepted equally...what I don't get is thinking registries are perfectly fine but asking for cash is tacky. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just went to one wedding two weeks ago.......going to another in september.

i gave a little something off of their registry AND a check. will do the same for the september wedding. one of the couples even had their honeymoon registered where you could buy them drinks or activities to do while they are on vacation.....have seen this before also.

So they want you to contribute to their honeymoon? Maybe they should just take one that they can afford. 

Honored Contributor

panda123 wrote:

sunshine45 wrote:

just went to one wedding two weeks ago.......going to another in september.

i gave a little something off of their registry AND a check. will do the same for the september wedding. one of the couples even had their honeymoon registered where you could buy them drinks or activities to do while they are on vacation.....have seen this before also.

So they want you to contribute to their honeymoon? Maybe they should just take one that they can afford. 

i actually LIKE these types of things because i know it is something they will need, want, or use. if i give them cash then more than likely some of that cash will go towards the honeymoon anyways. the honeymoom registries are becoming more and more popular. no difference to me. bridal registry, honeymoon registry, cash......i prefer shopping this way. a few years ago i bought the couple a snorkeling trip while on their honeymoom.

UNCONVENTIONAL WEDDING REGISTRIES:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/13-unconventional-registry-ideas-for-the-modern-wedding#.ewNyOQx3R

http://www.bridenh.com/Wedding-Advice/Spring-Summer-2014/11-Unique-Wedding-Registry-Ideas/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Back in ancient times, people lived in one place most of their lives, got married within the community, and weddings were mostly local affairs.  Today people move around a lot, spend a lot of electronics (both because they HAVE to have them as well as want to have them) and life is very different than when "ladies" bought people a sheet for a double bed or a pillowcase.

Today life is too fluid, people move a lot, and younger people don't want or need sheets or bath towels, or spoons or picture frames.  So I have absolutely no problem at all with conventions changing to be appropriate to today's lives.  Why saddle people with stuff they don't want?

I'm working my behind off to get RID of stuff people gave me 40 years ago and I should have gotten rid of 35 years ago. I really don't blame these kids and even the older ones getting married or re-married now!

Honored Contributor

The money we received for our wedding was used to purchase our dining room set and chairs - which I absolutely love, love, love to this day.

Most of that money was used to purchase our first home together, which is better than a piece of crystal or a frame or a some other nonsense item.  Everybody has different wants and needs.

Honored Contributor

I go back and forth on this.  On one hand, I think to request cash is really tacky.  You should be happy with any gift you get.  But on the other hand, what is the difference between requesting cash and registering for exact items you want people to buy for you? 

When I got married, my MIL thought registering at all was tacky.  Her thought was that you take what you get and you should be happy with it.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I go back and forth on this.  On one hand, I think to request cash is really tacky.  You should be happy with any gift you get.  But on the other hand, what is the difference between requesting cash and registering for exact items you want people to buy for you? 

When I got married, my MIL thought registering at all was tacky.  Her thought was that you take what you get and you should be happy with it.   

I don't think it's tacky to register for gifts.

when I give a gift, I never want somebody to get stuck with it.  Return it, exchange it, be happy with it.