Trusted Contributor

Re: Wedding Money Gift (Son's Marriage)

@Big Sister wrote:

I think the $2,000 is their wedding gift from you.

My DH and I paid for our small wedding and I was happy to do it.

I agree.

Our son is getting married in November, and we are hosting the Rehearsal Dinner. Right now, it is going to cost us $3000.00.

That is our gift.

His fiance's family is footing the entire bill for the wedding...right now it's at $18,000...and after talking to her parents this weekend...that is their gift as well. LOL

Respected Contributor

Weddings sure are expensive now!  

OP, I guess you should give them whatever you feel is right within the confines of your ability.

Honored Contributor

@MaryA wrote:
We already gave him (and fiance) 2k for assist preparations for their destination wedding this Sept. Is there a general money gift amount or range given for our sons/daughters for their weddings? We are clueless. The happy couple are looking to buy a house and saving. Thanks.

If you are asking us, you may have doubts about the amount:  you either think you have given too much, or feel that you should give more.

If you are very wealthy you should pony up some more.  If you have over-extended with this, you have given more than your share.  I think parents should help their kids get a good start in life if they can.  Whatever their financial situation, love and moral support is the best gift of all.

Honored Contributor

It's probably a done deal at this point, as this is a four month old thread brought up by the 'new' poster Bellamay.  That one seems to be having a lot of fun trolling the board and bringing up really old threads.