Super Contributor

Re: Wedding Money Gift (Son's Marriage)

Isn't the ""destination"" what a honeymoon is for? Get married where it's easy for friends and loved ones to attend and then take your dream trip. I don't get it.

Esteemed Contributor

It's your son, give them whatever and however much you want.

Trusted Contributor

There is no one "right answer" to this question! It depends on your financial situation and what you want to give. I'd consider $2,000 a very nice wedding gift indeed! That, along with helping to pay for any "groom's family" wedding expenses you might agree to cover (if any), should be more than enough.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 colliegirls said:

It's your son, give them whatever and however much you want.

I agree. What parents decide to give their children is such a personal thing.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't the amount you already gave to help pay for the wedding be your gift? If there is a bridal registry, I'd pick something from the high end and give that too (provided it fits in your budget). Beyond that, nothing more needs to be given.

Frequent Contributor

There are reasons for them wanting the destination wedding. It is an all-inclusive resort venue. The facility does everything. They will also stay fod the honeymoon too. They went there and picked out all options they wanted. My son says it's cheaper than doing it around their area after they looked around facilities. They are footing some of the expences too. Unfortuately, the primary reason for the decision to have the destination wedding, is that the fiance's family has serious conflict and disfunction issues she wants to avoid...can't blame her wanting a peaceful wedding. She knows certain family members won't be able to come-sad situation. Thanks for the input. DH and I will have to discuss this further. Like the idea of considering the gift registry! Hadn't thought about that. Thanks. ??
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 MaryA said: There are reasons for them wanting the destination wedding. It is an all-inclusive resort venue. The facility does everything. They will also stay fod the honeymoon too. They went there and picked out all options they wanted. My son says it's cheaper than doing it around their area after they looked around facilities. They are footing some of the expences too. Unfortuately, the primary reason for the decision to have the destination wedding, is that the fiance's family has serious conflict and disfunction issues she wants to avoid...can't blame her wanting a peaceful wedding. She knows certain family members won't be able to come-sad situation. Thanks for the input. DH and I will have to discuss this further. Like the idea of considering the gift registry! Hadn't thought about that. Thanks. ??

Of course it's cheaper for the couple. They have the honeymoon/wedding combined. No one hardly shows up. Who can afford it, depending where it is? Most people want to use their vacation time for their own places they want to visit, not the couples. I don't have a problem if the couple just goes to to their destination wedding. But I do, when they expect the guests to foot the travel expenses etc. to get there. I assuming you the op, are going? ......The main reason the couple wants to have a destination wedding, is that excludes most of the guests they don't want there.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:

Isn't the ""destination"" what a honeymoon is for? Get married where it's easy for friends and loved ones to attend and then take your dream trip. I don't get it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always thought ""Destination"" weddings were selfish of the bride and groom...

Why should their friends and family be forced to use their vacation time to travel to your wedding when you could easily gotten married where most family lives....then go to your destination.....for your honeymoon...

By the way....I think $2000.00 is a great deal of money and you need not add to that unless you are fortunate enough to give more....and want to....

Honored Contributor

It (destination wedding) now makes more sense, after learning about 'certain' folks who they don't want near/around them on their special day. Depending on the area, local weddings can be extremely expensive. A DW is a good way out of an uncomfortable situation, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).