Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Invitation Confusion

[ Edited ]

@petepeteywrote:

I still say it's confusing

The invitation only has the date/time/location for the wedding ceremony. No mention of the cocktail party.

The online RSVP (no mail-in rsvp) says 6:30 wedding -accept or regret--which are attached to our names. 

Again, doesn't matter to me, just want to understand.

The wedding info online says FORMAL

The invitation doesn't say that or anything. 

@petepetey  You are over-thinking this.

Just go to the reception and have a great time!  Extend your best to the new couple and forgettabout-it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@petepeteywrote:

The wedding invitation DOES NOT say to go to a web site for more information.

This is beyond ridiculous.  And I suppose they will be upset if people don't understand they were somehow supposed to know that the invitation to the ceremony and reception didn't necessarily include the ceremony and show up for both.

If they can take the time to post this on the website - and to write notes to people actually invited to the ceremony, then they could easily have sent two different invitations and there would be no confusion.  

Or - if that would have been too expensive to print different invitations, they could have sent everyone an invitation to the reception and included the notes to invite those chosen to attend the ceremony - again avoiding confusion - and drama.

Respected Contributor

I just think it iis beyond rude to send someone a written invitation to something and then post something on a website uninviting them - without even telling them to check the website.  Good grief.  If too many people show up - they deserve it.

Honored Contributor

You're not invited to the ceremony, that's clear BUT they want $$$ as a gift?k

I always think it's GREEDY to ask for $$$ for a wedding gift. Can't afford a honeymoon? Have one when you can have it without begging for financing. That alone would put me off.

Were it I, they'd get a nice card and no check. And I wouldn't even bother going to the reception.

IMO it's a gift grab.

Respected Contributor

If the invitation you received only mentions the ceremony, it sounds like that IS your "note".  

Esteemed Contributor

Seems they over-invited their available space.

☑ @chrystaltree summed it up nicely for you. 

Honored Contributor

you could call the parents of the groom to double check about ceremony. 

I do think as people have said, NO note NO ceremony invitation, just invited to reception and dinner.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You received an engraved invitation to the ceremony.  That means you are invited to the ceremony (no matter how loosely or tightly you adhere to event/wedding etiquette). 

They have handled this abysmally and are likely going to need to be turning people away at the ceremony, but if I were you, I wouldn't overthink it.  Since you ARE invited and the information on the website makes you question whether you should attend or not, it would be gracious of you to call the family and find out from them whether there is space for you or not.  That will save them embarrassment on the big day.

Respected Contributor

@petepeteywrote:

I still say it's confusing

The invitation only has the date/time/location for the wedding ceremony. No mention of the cocktail party.

The online RSVP (no mail-in rsvp) says 6:30 wedding -accept or regret--which are attached to our names. 

Again, doesn't matter to me, just want to understand.

The wedding info online says FORMAL

The invitation doesn't say that or anything. 

This is what you can go by then....the invite is for the Ceremony....which I would assume means they have seating for you at the ceremony and of course those who go to the ceremony also go to the reception.  

Also the online shows you listed 6:30 wedding (ceremony?) so you should be fine attending both in this case.

I'd say for the record this is "clear as mud" LOL!

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51wrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@kitcat51wrote:

There are going to be people who don't check the website, I wouldn't. I'm amazed at what couples expect, for the 2nd time a gift was returned to me for not meeting their $$$$ request so am I going to sent a more expensive gift...NO! I'll just a note acknowledging I received the returned gift & my best wishes.

@kitcat51.  You had a gift returned because it wasn't expensive enough? I don't understand.

I know it's hard to believe but the first time the gifts were expected to be $150.00+ & this time they wanted gifts to cover some of the cost the of the ceremony, reception & honeymoon so $250.00+. Both times a small card was included in the wedding invitations for a gift list website, who to make checks out to & letting you know a cash box would be at the  reception. I ignored that nonsense & sent lovely reasonably priced gifts, both times they were returned...just ridiculous!

Now this is truly unreal!!  Who does stuff like this??  Expecting people to give them a certain $$$ amount in cash/gift is outrageous! and then returning the gift (not to the store) to the sender!!  I thought I had heard so many horror stories on showers/weddings and so on but this one takes the cake!

Are they a close relation to you?  I can't imagine if they are and you'd be seeing them for holidays and such.