Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Invitation Confusion

@petepeteywrote:

As I said in the OP, I am just fine not being invited to the ceremony---no stress

just on to the drinks and party!

However, if they saved the space for us to be there I wouldn't want to disappoint. 

With today's easy to create wedding invites, why not just make a version for those

going to the ceremony and one for those not?

@petepetey you're handling it much better than the rest of us.  lol.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

Oh I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I will.

Not invited to the ceremony, just the reception, sounds like a gift grab to me.

@CelticCrafter  I think it's safe to say, at least a few of us were thinkign the same thing.  Me included.

Respected Contributor

There are going to be people who don't check the website, I wouldn't. I'm amazed at what couples expect, for the 2nd time a gift was returned to me for not meeting their $$$$ request so am I going to sent a more expensive gift...NO! I'll just a note acknowledging I received the returned gift & my best wishes.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51wrote:

There are going to be people who don't check the website, I wouldn't. I'm amazed at what couples expect, for the 2nd time a gift was returned to me for not meeting their $$$$ request so am I going to sent a more expensive gift...NO! I'll just a note acknowledging I received the returned gift & my best wishes.

@kitcat51.  You had a gift returned because it wasn't expensive enough? I don't understand.

Super Contributor

Yes, the registry is a bit eye opening.....they want $$$ for a  honeymoon.

The invitations did not have a return address on the envelope. So, any wrong address, or other issues would never come back to them. usps would just trash them.

Also, if you don't have a computer, like some elderly people or just not interested in it people would have NO WAY to respond. They didn't have an option for returning the RSVP card other than logging on to do it.

For being a semi formal wedding they certainly didn't follow the normal protocal. The invitations look like something they printed at home, which is fine, but make 2 versions!

I'm going to go,smile, have a drink and enjoy the event!

Respected Contributor

What?  A gift is returned because it's not expensive enough?  Now THAT is tacky and would result in no gift to replace and no future gifts.

Please tell me that's not the case, and people haven't stooped that low. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Don't call them, just send a note saying you're looking forward to attending the cocktail party and dinner which will let them know not to expect you at the ceremony

Super Contributor

DD is planning a private wedding with immediate family only this summer with the big reception to follow in the fall.

I am catching a lot of heat from my 7siblings plus spouses and cousins who want to be there for the ceremony. I tell them it is her wedding, her way. Amen! 

Honored Contributor

You may want to ask, if you are close to this nephew, because mistakes are made.

We got a save the date card for a wedding. We never got the invite. It didn't bother us, and I thought they just got into the planning and decided they needed to cut. My husband was going to call and ask, and I said no! They are just casual friends, and I didn't want a 'pity' invite. 

Well, in talking with the mom of the groom several months later, she brought up the wedding, and I said we were sorry to miss, but didn't get the invitation. She was shocked, and the short version is due to some mix up, we just didn't get it as too many people doing the invitations and one thought another had done it. Heck the grooms' sister didn't even get her invitation (but she was in the wedding so was there anyway), but the mom was upset about both. 

So it could be a mix up. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

Oh I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I will.

Not invited to the ceremony, just the reception, sounds like a gift grab to me.

This is not a gift grab! Being invited to a reception costs money - not the church!

And no, you are not invited to the ceremony. It’s clear as day. Do not call them