Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding Invitation Confusion

I think it's extremely tacky. 

Trusted Contributor

I would say your not invited to the ceremony.  It sounds like your not that close to your, or your husbands brother/sister.  I'm presuming this because other wise I would think you would just ask.  But if, as it sounds, you arn't that close it's not surprising that you haven't been invited to the ceremony were they say there is limited space.  I doubt if they would have had different invitations printed.  Just go to the reception and enjoy. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12wrote:

I think it's extremely tacky. 

I do too but then nothing surprises me much anymore.  I consider Aunts' and Uncles' immediate family but who knows what the happy couple is thinking or their "whys"..  

Enjoy when you go and have a drink for me!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Oh I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I will.

Not invited to the ceremony, just the reception, sounds like a gift grab to me.

Respected Contributor

@petepeteywrote:

As I said in the OP, I am just fine not being invited to the ceremony---no stress

just on to the drinks and party!

However, if they saved the space for us to be there I wouldn't want to disappoint. 

With today's easy to create wedding invites, why not just make a version for those

going to the ceremony and one for those not?

Maybe they couldn't afford it. They're easy to create, but you still have to pay for them.

Honored Contributor

I agree that it’s extremely tacky too.

Super Contributor

MJ12: Most invites want you at the church ceremony, it's free. But the reception is where the invitees become very limited due to cost. Who knows, old churches are small. 

I suggest calling & getting more details. Communication is the best way to resolve this.

Honored Contributor

I would not call if this was my invite to get clarification.  I would feel like I was putting them on the spot for either an explanation or to just say come on to the ceremony.  There are a lot of families out there who would talk about the call with other members later.  I know I for sure have relatives like that.  Just go to the party and have a great time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

DH and I own a printing business....we could have created 2 different styles of invites...the cost would not have been that high....not engraved but nicely printed on paper and matching envelopes.

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@petepeteywrote:

As I said in the OP, I am just fine not being invited to the ceremony---no stress

just on to the drinks and party!

However, if they saved the space for us to be there I wouldn't want to disappoint. 

With today's easy to create wedding invites, why not just make a version for those

going to the ceremony and one for those not?

Maybe they couldn't afford it. They're easy to create, but you still have to pay for them.

Honored Contributor

Private wedding ceremonies are not uncommon followed by larger receptions. It's neither tacky nor a gift grab since receptions/dinners are expensive. What's tacky and a gift grab is to be invited only to the ceremony.