Occasional Contributor

A niece recently married and will have a celebration next year. I will send a congrats card but wondered about a gift. Do I send the gift (a check) now or wait until the celebration?

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@oak1  I have no experience relating to my reply; however, my gut just said to send it now with your card.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

They are married. Only the celebration is delayed. I would send the newlyweds your gift now.

Respected Contributor

I would send it now when they actually get married. They might have to cancel the celebration due to covid if it continues. Our daughter got married in February and they were planning a celebration party in June with all their friends and family. It had to be cancelled because of covid. Their honeymoon got cancelled also. Everyone sent gifts for the wedding.

Respected Contributor

@oak1   The gift is to honor their marriage, which has taaken place, so I would send a congratulatory card and my gift now.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I agree with send it now, the future is so uncertain as far as a big celebration is concerned.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others....send it now!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

They are starting out now so yes I say send a check now and at the celebration give a gift card  I'm sure in the year you'll hear of something they want or need. Congratulations to them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@oak1  My son got married last month. He had a small reception with only 50 guests,per state restrictions. He is planning on a big party next year for the over 300 people on the original guest list. With Covid still out there all future plans are fluid.That in mind everyone sent wedding gifts. If there's a party next year my son intends on asking his guests not to bring gifts,but to just come to celebrate with them.

So my suggestion would be to send the gift now.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ    Agree with your suggestion.  Also, bit off topic, my son is named Nick also, and he too got married earlier this month.  Small celebration with 40 people, and planning the party/reception for next year, all depending of course on the covid situation. I just thought it was funny how similar it was to read your post since I am a nicksmom too!