Honored Contributor

Re: Websites That Ask For Donations

Unless a donation is being sought for a local teen with huge medical bills or something similar, I donate to the organizations directly.  

Respected Contributor

There are specific charities I have supported exclusively for years and a few different each year. A few of the long-term supported have grown and expanded with a huge donor list, so changed over to some smaller organizations where help needed.  I donate direct to the charity/organization to which I know where the funds go.   Grocer donation request--no; local can/food drives--no, and on and on--I do not know where my donation would go and/or who would receive, so I do not donate when that is the case.  I've noticed more charity ads on the radio and websites and ignore.  

Esteemed Contributor

At the stores, whether it be at the register or the people standing outside, if you can tell me where it's going, I will donate.  I don't want to donate to the homeless or the hungry in LA when I live in No Cal and we have plenty up here I am more than happy to donate to.  Same with huge umbrellas, like "children with disabilities".  Tell me where it is going; generally they don't know.  So I just donate to the specifiic groups I want to donate to, and then on The Day of Giving generally companies match certain charities.

Trusted Contributor

I, too, prefer to donate directly and to local charities. I also almost always give cash to local promotions at the supermarket.

The one that really irritates me though is when I've just spent almost $20 for popcorn and a soda at the movie theatre and the ushers come around asking for donations to some national charity. I say donate some of your profits for 50 cents worth of corn and carbonated water to the charity......

Respected Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I really don't like it.

I give to a lot of charities of my choice when I can.  Don't need to be bombarded with requests, especially at a supermarket when they ask you if you would like to give and you really feel you have to say "yes."  I have gotten so annoyed that I have said "no" and they can think of me what they will.

Same thing happened to me with St. Jude's.  I started off with one number every month and it morphed up and up till I got annoyed and just stopped my contributions.  I get emails from animal chaarities on a daily basis, even if I just gave the day before.

I don't feel this way at all. If I want to donate, I do. If I don't, I just politely decline (I usually say, "Not today"). I have never felt that I had to say yes, and the check out people really don't care. Same with mail solicitations -- I give on the schedule I choose and simply discard any additional mail. For email solicitations, I "unsubscribe" from whatever list it is. For me, it's not very difficult.

Honored Contributor

I find it ridiculously easy to ignore such requests.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I really don't like it.

I give to a lot of charities of my choice when I can.  Don't need to be bombarded with requests, especially at a supermarket when they ask you if you would like to give and you really feel you have to say "yes."  I have gotten so annoyed that I have said "no" and they can think of me what they will.

Same thing happened to me with St. Jude's.  I started off with one number every month and it morphed up and up till I got annoyed and just stopped my contributions.  I get emails from animal chaarities on a daily basis, even if I just gave the day before.

I don't feel this way at all. If I want to donate, I do. If I don't, I just politely decline (I usually say, "Not today"). I have never felt that I had to say yes, and the check out people really don't care. Same with mail solicitations -- I give on the schedule I choose and simply discard any additional mail. For email solicitations, I "unsubscribe" from whatever list it is. For me, it's not very difficult.

@jonbon 

Same thing with me.

At the check out counter, I politely decline.

Mail solicitations?

Go in to the shredder.

Email?

Delete.

It really is just that easy!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.