Honored Contributor

Websites That Ask For Donations

I am as charitable as the next person, but websites that ask me for a donation bothers me. I have certain charities that I donate to when I can. I don't like companies such as Macys, HSN, ShopNBC,etc asking me while I am purchasing something from them ( for a special occasion, not for myself) can I donate money to the cause they're connected with. I feel these companies make enough money, why can't they make donations in the company's name? Also times are hard right now, asking people for donations at this time, when they are barely getting by themselves isn't right.

Honored Contributor

Re: Websites That Ask For Donations

Actually, I believe some of them say they will matfch your donation.  Having said that, I donate on my own....not through any outside source.

Trusted Contributor

My view is this, no one is making you make a donation.  They are just asking.  Yes times are tough.  More so for some than others. I don't have a problem with them asking.  If I have it and I feel like donating, I donate, if I don't then I won't. 

I guess I don't see the harm in them asking and with all that is going on right now, of all the things I personally have to be concerned about (for me only) this is not one of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Nobody is forcing you to donate to the charity that the store is promoting.

It's an option, a choice.

The stores probably do donate themselves, but having it at check out, is just another way for people to donate.

Yes, a lot of people are struggling financially, but not everyone is, and even $1 can help.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

They can ask and you can decline.  Kinda simple.

It's not like they are trying to take advantage of poor people.  Retailers like the ones you mentioned are probably not frequented much by people who are barely getting by.  More likely the shoppers have some discretionary income.  

But whatever, it's just a request.  You're not obligated.

Honored Contributor

I donate a lot of money (to me it's a lot) to various places.

I started out having St Jude take $19 out automatically every month.  Then somehow it has progressed to $25 every month.  

But that's not good enough.  They constantly send me things asking for more money.  Lately, they've wanted me to leave my life insurance to them.

The only reason I started out donating to them was because my late husband did it.  I decided to continue it in his name.

I'm not about to donate my life insurance to them.

I know they advertise they don't make people pay but if  you have health insurance you sure do pay and pay.

We've always taken our girls to Children's Hospital in Washington, DC.  Over the years we've been there maybe 35 time for various reasons.

Each time they hit our insurance company up for a lot of money.  That's OK because they took care of the problem with excellence.

However, I don't think it's right that they all say people don't pay because if you have health insurance you REALLY do pay and pay.

I'll bet a lot of you are like me.  I'll donate money to place closer to home so that I'll know where my hard earned money will go (not to some CEO).

I especially like donating to animal places that need help.  I might see on TV where there's a place that takes in old pets.  I saw that one day and sent them a little money.

My guess is many of you do things like that.

One reason I enjoy coming here is because there are so many of you who are kind and give whatever time and/or money you can to help others.  It's a good feeling to know there are so many people willing to help and are kind.

Honored Contributor

I'm on the fence.  I ordered puzzles from Springbok last week and they are supporting an organization with every order. I had not heard of that organization before and did some research and they support my area.

Instead of adding the money to my order, I made a separate donation direclty to the one in my area.

But in general, I'm not a fan, but it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't default to a donation and it doesn't ask me "if I'm sure" 3 times ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Once again my grocery store is doing this deal where they ask, when your total comes up, if you want to donate the change part to......I don't even remember what the charity was today. So if your total is $20.55 they ask if you want to donate 45 cents to bring your total to $21.00. This was at the little thingy you put your cc or debit card in. I don't what happens if you're paying cash at a register w/a cashier. 

Valued Contributor

I really don't like it.

I give to a lot of charities of my choice when I can.  Don't need to be bombarded with requests, especially at a supermarket when they ask you if you would like to give and you really feel you have to say "yes."  I have gotten so annoyed that I have said "no" and they can think of me what they will.

Same thing happened to me with St. Jude's.  I started off with one number every month and it morphed up and up till I got annoyed and just stopped my contributions.  I get emails from animal chaarities on a daily basis, even if I just gave the day before.

Respected Contributor

If you don't ask you don't get.