Respected Contributor

Re: Weather channel drama ...

After watching it and hearing what the reporter is saying I am disappointed at the response from the station.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I think hurricane season is the Weather Channel's Super Bowl.  They pull out all the stops!

Honored Contributor

That one will be on u tube forever.

Our local weatherman on ABC in Sarasota makes a point of saying he will never overdramatize the weather but instead works hard to watch his language so as to avoid panic.

Honored Contributor

Mike always seems so real when he hangs onto things as not to blow away.

Honored Contributor

I was watching that live broadcast and have no doubt whatsoever that what I saw was legit.   The camera also showed a shot of the palm tree in front of the reporter, and the wind gusts were wreaking havoc on it.   The reporter was soaking wet and had been out in the storm for quite awhile.

The two people who came strolling thru kept moving, and one looked like he/she was talking on a cell phone.   I think the reporter could have walked in the storm as easily as the people in the background, but his purpose was to show how hard it was to steady himself facing a head wind— the other 2 were walking in a different direction than the reporter. 

Trusted Contributor

I laughed when I saw that.  Good acting on the weatherman's part.  It's all done for show and ratings. 

I get so tired of any hurricane reporting like that.  We all know it's windy and raining.  

I can tell you truthfully as a resident of NC that the real problem with this storm’s perception is the sheer size of it and stalling pace that it is traveling.  I felt the same way as some of you yesterday morning after all my preparation for surviving this MONSTER....then it was explained that the storm had not yet arrived!  Check the news reports today.  Try to find the viral coverage of Wilmington firemen kneeling and praying in the rain and wind outside the house where a mother and her baby were lost to

the ravages of Florence.  Read about the fully inhabitated shelters from the coast into the middle of the state, or the hospitals that had to move sick patients by converted buses to safer locations.  I am 100% in agreement about the false media, but not this time.  It’s SLOW but oh so real!!

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

If ya can't even believe the Weather Channel, who can you believe? Just one more reason I love my dogs so much.

The founder of the channel calls them out on their nonsense all the time.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

But, but....I was on Land's End and they are selling those famous blue parkas!!!!

Never miss a chance to make a buck.

Esteemed Contributor

How many of you have actually been through a severe hurricane?  The wind blows in gusts.  It is certainly possible for the wind to be blowing the reporter and not the other guys!!!  

During Irma, we had literally nothing but a tree went down within 20 feet of our front door, 2 doors down another tree down and shingles from the 3rd house over were scattered in our yard.  My car was in the yard, uncovered and was fine.  The winds do not blow in one big wide swoop, they blow in strong short gusts.  

Driving home, I would pass a strip of trees just mangled and then for the next 100 yards, not a leaf off a tree.  I've seen a tree twisted like you could twist a pencil and the ones around it not touched.  Hurricanes are weird happenings.  Yes, it is entirely possible for the video to be real!  It can be terrible out your front door and still in the back of the house.  Yes, it can!