Honored Contributor

There's always YE OLDE PET ROCK.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I thank God for our meteorologists every day.  Now they can pretty much tell you what block the tornado is on.  And that saves a whole lot of lives. 

@Sooner 

I have to agree that during tornado activity our local stations come on with pinpoint forecasts and stay on until the threats are gone.  That's mighty important since many of our tornadoes come through after dark when you can't see what it looks like outside.

I tend to watch the same local station for morning, afternoon, and evening news and weather.  So they have the same weather information, but different meteorologists interpreting it.  The forecast can vary quite a bit during the day from person to person.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt We in Albuquerque also hear mention of the "European Model" and I've always wondered the same as you.

My favorite thing is the ABC station that has a "Certified Most Accurate Forecast".  How can a forecast be certified as most accurate when it hasn't happened yet, its just a forecast?  I'm just waiting for the opportunity to ask someone at the station.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Here in southeast Florida, I'd say they are pretty accurate. The weather doesn't vary that much. Hot and humid now. The temps vary a degree or two day to day. The sun shines almost always. As the year goes on, the daily temps drop; then more in the new year with lowering of the humidity. We heat back up come Spring.

Usually we would have a lot of rain now but this year it's very dry. I've not seen any mis-steps forecasting rain. My city can be dry while the the one a few miles away gets soaked. Watching weather forecasting for south Florida will not necessarily be specific to my city. I use one of the local news station's weather apps on my smartphone to track radar for rain in the area of my home. I do appreciate the weatherpersons reporting of storm tracking off the coast of Africa on the various systems that may develop into tropical depressions or hurricanes.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

There are way too many variables involved for weather forecasting to ever be one hundred percent accurate. Their models are generally pretty good, but models can't account for every variable and fail fairly often because of that.

That's why I always find it funny when they predict our temperatures will rise 2.7 degrees higher in a hundred years. Not 2.6 or 2.8 degrees, but exactly 2.7 degrees, and if you don't believe it, you're a science denier. Uh, no. You're a sane person who knows the models they use are inaccurate and can't account for every variable. In a hundred years, temps could fall by ten degrees or rise by ten degrees. Anyone insisting they'll be exactly 2.7 degrees higher is brainwashed. There are way, way too many variables to ever be that precise that far into the future. 

That would be called science, based on a whole lot of factors, not just the limited aspect of weather. Weather and climate change are not the same science.

I saw an expert's chart that showed our average temp has risen every year for the last 20 years. Humans are doing nothing to change the pattern of increase so it will continue.