Respected Contributor

Re: We went out for dinner! 3 times!

Just as I expected, people are now throwing arrows at each others' states!  COVID doesn't give a darn about imaginary borders, so instead of arguing with each other and feeling insulted, it should be time to start using some common sense from coast to coast.  We should know what to do to protect ourselves by now.  If some choose to play with fire, so be it.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

When Arizona opened up, about 5 percent of their testing was positive. Two weeks later, it was up to 12 percent. The weekly average of new cases has nearly tripled in two weeks. Over the last week, there as been an average of 1300 new cases a day.

That is simply not a result of more testing.

@desertrat8 

source: NPR

I wanted to add another fact about testing and cases. If you are ramping up testing, you are presumably finding positives. Those positives are asked to quarantine for 14 days so that they don't infect anyone.

It may sound counterintuitive, but in this scenario, we should see a decrease in the number of cases.

Stating that increased testing is the reason behind the escalating numbers would also have to be paired with just what the new number of testing. As far as I know, we've not provided with that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I have never ever seen lines of cars like I witnessed last Friday at CVS, and I have lived here 53 years.(most of my life)  Same thing on Monday only more!  Not sure I believe NPR  Hopefully we can agree to disagree.  

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3

Also just to add,,,,we have to be able to trust the numbers.  The numbers are 'played' with all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

We opened in NJ to outside dining. Gov Murphy is doing a great job and shows compassion & we usually ate out 3x a week, no interest now. I’ll wait for real China and no face masks. Won’t even go for a BBQ with friends in Staten Island
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx 

We are just back from dinner at Gigantes at the Lake Isle pool, it was wonderful, felt so good to be out 

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Restaurants by me opened for outdoor dining last week.  We hit up our three favorite places on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I have never felt happier or more hopeful in my life!  We are big on dining out, it's very important for our happiness in life.  It was so good to see all the staff and owners/managers again. They gave us such a warm welcome back. They were all in such great spirits.  I felt so NORMAL for the first time in months.  We could be out around others without a face mask on.  It honestly felt so natural and like we had never been away.  This is such a great development in the reopening of my area.  I hope it stays like this.  It's funny when I took out my summer sandals three weeks ago, I left all the dressy ones in storage figuring we'd never be able to go out and now I have to dig them out!  Because I'll have plenty of places to wear them now.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Two restaurants in a neighboring town that opened for dine-in last week are closing the dining room at the end of business on Friday.  They will still provide carryout service.  Article in the local newspaper stated that the dine-in customers just didn't return in the numbers necessary to support paying dining room staffs.  I hope the patrons return to dining room eating someday, they are nice places to enjoy a meal out.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

We are just back from dinner at Gigantes

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Restaurants by me opened for outdoor dining last week.  We hit up our three favorite places on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I have never felt happier or more hopeful in my life!  We are big on dining out, it's very important for our happiness in life.  It was so good to see all the staff and owners/managers again. They gave us such a warm welcome back. They were all in such great spirits.  I felt so NORMAL for the first time in months.  We could be out around others without a face mask on.  It honestly felt so natural and like we had never been away.  This is such a great development in the reopening of my area.  I hope it stays like this.  It's funny when I took out my summer sandals three weeks ago, I left all the dressy ones in storage figuring we'd never be able to go out and now I have to dig them out!  Because I'll have plenty of places to wear them now.

at the Lake Isle pool, it was wonderful, felt so good to be out 

I've wanted to try that place! I guess you like it so it must be good! We are such local friends I love it. 

Honored Contributor

@desertrat8 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I have never ever seen lines of cars like I witnessed last Friday at CVS, and I have lived here 53 years.(most of my life)  Same thing on Monday only more!  Not sure I believe NPR  Hopefully we can agree to disagree.  

@desertrat8, I doubt that they were NPR's numbers. I bet they got them from the horse's mouth. I think that I'll stick with well-sourced numbers rather than with anecdotal sightings of lines of cars. :-)

In your subsequent post, you said that numbers can be played with. I'm more optimistic that in our country we have are given the correct data. If a government agency or other official information bureaus are fudging, then we would be as bad as the countries that we often claim do not reveal the real data.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I live in Tulsa, and the Covid-19 numbers are growing steadily everyday, and since they are hospitliations, they are not just counting those who have been tested. Now we have a big indoor event this Saturday, and masks and sterilizing balm will be administered, but they are not required to be used. Can't imagine how you can stay safe, especially when thousands of people using the bathrooms at the facility. We DO NOT NEED this in our city. No telling how many people will get infected jammed together. I want to yell, the COVID-19 is alive and thriving in Tulsa. Only time will tell what impact this will have on my cherished hometown Tulsa.