Super Contributor

Re: We went out for dinner! 3 times!

Claseee-You believe all the new numbers are from increased testing? I don't. 

Super Contributor

@dimin 

Don't mean to be nosy but do you live in AZ?  I know there have been more cases with the Navajo nation, not sure why.  As for the testing, yes I believe that testing accounts for most of the cases.  How else do they know??  As I stated before,,,,the line of cars at the CVS near where I live  was extensive.  And that was just one day.  It's fine for us to disagree.  No argument here.

Honored Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

@Bhvbum I live in phoenix and no we are not number one, that horrible state of Florida is, I think we are 3 or 4

@arizona babe "that horrible state of Florida" is insulting to me as a Floridian. 

Honored Contributor

We are going out to dinner Friday night & I can't wait!  Mai Tais & pu-pus & dinner!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I hate putting a damper on everyone's joy at being able to dine out and feel liberated, but for some reason Anne Frank keeps popping up in my mind.  She never had that freedom.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Truthfully I am airing on the side of caution.  Just because a state has reopened salons, restaurants, etc. does not mean it is any more "safe" than it was prior to closing. As states reopen — and many of the states with rising case counts were among the earliest and most eager to resume business as usual — the more their residents start to ease up on social distancing and use of masks. The more people ease up, the more they risk contracting COVID-19.  Little has changed and in fact states that have opened in haste, combined with memorial day celebrations and protests are showing marked increases in infections.  

In fact, the number of Covid-19 hospitalizations since Memorial Day has gone up in at least a dozen states: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas and Utah.That's according to data aggregated by CNN from the Covid Tracking Project from May 25 to June 9.  
Between June 7 and June 14, the seven-day rolling average of positive tests rose from 6.2 percent to 13.5 percent in Alabama, from 12.3 percent to 15.6 percent in Arizona, from 5.6 percent to 19.7 percent in Mississippi and from 6.4 percent to 13.7 percent in South Carolina — a sign that their outbreaks are growing, regardless of testing capacity. Many other states, including Alaska, Nevada, Idaho, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming, have also registered rising positive-testing rates in recent days.  Its hard for me to feel comfortable sitting in a salon chair given this reality right now.

One might argue the "numbers" are up due to increased testing but that does not change the fact that folks are still getting infected and infecting others.  The virus exists whether it is counted or not.  i live in a state that has opened salons, and restaurants but for now I am staying put.  Yes, I'm dying to get my hair cut..my nails done..etc. but right now I will pass.   Just because I am sick with being couped up does not mean that the reason to be cautious has miraculously gone away.  Of course this is my personal decision and analysis of the situation and I would not presume to tell anyone what they should choose.  Whatever choice one makes please take precautions and I hope everyone stays as safe as possible!  All rather surreal but nonetheless a reality that won't change just because we are tired of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

I have always felt normal without going out to eat.

I used to feel normal before the pandemic, riots and all the BAD news from the media, tv and print. Going out to eat does lift one's spirits.

Today I had a big order delivered from Costco instacart --- and having something to eat feels very rewarding. I literally have to cheer myself up every day to cope with the new America. It does affect ur mental, emotional and physical health. People feel like prisoners in their homes/apts. While the rich and famous tough it out at the Hamptons, mansions and beach homes - with people waiting on them hand and foot.

I also think that my mental, emotional and physical health is the same as it was prior to the pandemic.

Then that's a good thing since you can do all the things you use to do.  

@Hoovermom 

I do.  My activities are basically the same as they were prior to the pandemic.  It's a little more difficult (and uncomfortable) with having to wear a mask when I'm out of the house, but if that's all I have to worry about, I'm in trouble...

Honored Contributor

I have always enjoyed eating out, the food aspect as well as the social aspect. 

Our restaurants have been open for a few weeks here, and I'm not going. I'm not going because of being confined for a longer period of time inside or outside that close to others. But more importantly, I'm not going because I've broken the cycle. I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would at first. 

It just doesn't matter to me, and I'm surprised about that. I think I've broken the habit enough that if we woke up tomorrow, and they said the virus has disappeared from the planet, I'd not be in any rush to head back into a restaurant. 

I find myself to be rather easily adapted to change. I used to think I wasn't, but when I have had to make a change, like this virus has forced us to do in so many ways, I adjust quickly and move on. I think a lot of what we consider our 'necessary' and our 'passions' are actually just habits that we establish (and even enjoy) but can easily be left behind in a new normal. 

Even when I do feel comfortable going back into places like a restaurant, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be doing it as frequently as in the past. I've become fond of spending less money on non essential things, and paying down some debt and saving more. I think I'll make an effort to continue those changes after the virus.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When Arizona opened up, about 5 percent of their testing was positive. Two weeks later, it was up to 12 percent. The weekly average of new cases has nearly tripled in two weeks. Over the last week, there as been an average of 1300 new cases a day.

That is simply not a result of more testing.

@desertrat8 

source: NPR

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland