Honored Contributor

We've been asked to conserve water

Florida has been in a drought situation this winter and we just got a letter from the county asking citizens to voluntarily conserve water.Since almost all the snowbirds will have gone back north by the end of this month, they timed this well. In our small town about 3/4 of the homes are only occupied seasonally.

They are actually expecting a busy storm season this summer because the oceans are warmer than normal so they expect the tropical storms to start early. That certainly will solve the drought issue, and hopefully it won't go the other extreme and cause flooding.

Honored Contributor

Re: We've been asked to conserve water

I live in Northern Va and I'm surprised not much has been said about conserving water here.

It seems like it hasn't rained in forever.  Funny....because I hate rainy days but I know we do need rain.

It's been drizzling here all morning, but not real rain.  Can you believe my 2 cats are sneezing their heads off.  The Vet said he thinks it's allergies.  So many animals have been coming in with allergies (one puppy's eyes are swollen).  My cat (Bill) is on Amoxicillan for a runny nose and eyes.

My daughter lives in Florida.  She has a pool (like most people in Florida).  I wonder how this affects the water shortage?

I heard that in California (even with all of the rain they had recently) they still have a water shortage.  Perhaps it is certain parts of California.  The news said the shortage was so bad it would take a few years before the state catches up water-wise.

I hope everything goes OK for you.  You know when I saw where you mentioned you live in a small town.  People who live in areas like mine (where closer to DC) people are so abundant they are almost on top of each other, they forget it's the small towns that make this Country great.  The people who live in these small towns, their sense of values, I don't know, maybe it sounds dumb to some, but I think the small towns in this Country keep the idiots in Washington, DC (all of them) from totally going berserk.

Honored Contributor

When we were in that severe drought here in Georgia, it was mandatory to conserve water, even the golf courses weren't allowed to water.  But we all survived!

I've never seen so much watering yards, businesses and etc.  as when we are in Florida, there should be some sort of conservation with that too. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Super Contributor

I live in Hernando County in west central Florida and we have had 1 day a week watering since 2012.
We can smell smoke this morning and last evening as soon as we opened our door to go outside.

Respected Contributor

Praying for some good rain for you.  Seems like there is always a drought situation in this country somewhere.  Here in So. Indiana we only had about 4 inches of snow this past winter so I expect we will too be in a drought before summer is over.  I've seen it once here in the past 13 years - it was terribly dry but we weren't ordered to conserve water, just not have any campfires or outside burning. 

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach  The conservation of the sprinkling water is - they use the water that comes from the water treatment plant for the sprinklers. They claim it is safe to drink it is so clean, but I certainly wouldn't. Anyway , instead of putting it out into our waterways like most communities do - at least in our town - they recycle it back into the ground thru the sprinkler systems.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Suziepeach  The conservation of the sprinkling water is - they use the water that comes from the water treatment plant for the sprinklers. They claim it is safe to drink it is so clean, but I certainly wouldn't. Anyway , instead of putting it out into our waterways like most communities do - at least in our town - they recycle it back into the ground thru the sprinkler systems.

@151949, that's great about recycling it back into the ground thru the sprinkler systems.  Wonder if it's that way near Orlando?  I know when we come in thru Windermere we always see lots and lots of watering.. dang that's a beautiful area, our good ole Publix is there when we get supplies for the cabin at Fort Wilderness..  

When we were out of the drought and back to normal, we really didn't go back to normal and still conserve water..  it's a good thing!!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

We have had some rain throughout the winter but it has been sporadic and seems to only last around a half hour. A week or so ago we did have a real gully whopper all day rain but even that was a short hard rain then just a light summer rain the remainder of the day.

Honored Contributor

The alligators are going to be wandering around looking for a home ! All the swamps are dry. Just what we need - a bunch of grumpy alligators.

Valued Contributor

I totally understand what your state is going through. I'm in Ca and they say we are finally out of the drought. When we go out to dinner water by requesr only, and we are on two days a week lawn watering. My husband and I still watch how much water we use. Suggestion, when you mop the floor, use the water to water your plants. It,s all a learning process.