Honored Contributor

The cold froze its small brain, and got lost.  We are just getting cold here we have a week of this bitterness weather to go thru.

If that Robin is around it maybe a sign somewhere around warm weather is close by, don't know where the warmth is but it sure isn't here.

Respected Contributor

I leave food for the birds daily - I live in CT.  Still getting lots of customers - Guess they didn't plan ahead and fly South. I recognize some of the regulars: Two loud Blue Jays !

Respected Contributor

@cherry  Well at least now I know I'm not going nuts.  I've seen a few robins around here too (last week).  I kept thinking, aren't they supposed to go south?  When I'm out jogging and it's 25 degrees, I know something isn't right when I hear a robin singing.  I hope they packed their bags last week though, it's now in the teens and snowing like nobody's business in NE Ohio!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@cherry ~ It's actually pretty common to see robins this time of year.  I remember seeing about a dozen of them in our backyard during a snowstorm!  (We are in Illinois).  In one of my gazillion bird books it states something to the effect that robins being the harbinger of Spring is just a myth.  We've had a yellow-rumped warbler at our suet feeder the past week or so!  Warblers in this weather!  Now they usually just pass through our area in the Spring and Fall.

Birds do stay warm by staying clean (for some reason this isn't letting me reference the poster who asked about this).  I couldn't believe it at first!  We have a couple heated birdbaths and they are at full occupancy during this nasty weather.  Go figure!

Honored Contributor

In our state, Robins do not migrate. I had no idea. It's one of those "fables", apparently. They're always around but we don't "see" them because we're not supposed to. Once I found that out, I noticed I saw them all year round, everywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

Me too.  I thought I was seeing things.  Twenty seven degrees at the time, cold and windy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: We saw a robin today

[ Edited ]

Contrary to popular folklore, robins do not migrate. They go into a state of hibernation called torpor and on warmer days of winter, will come out of it to eat. I’ve seen robins eating juniper berries here. 

I saw at our peanut feeder on Christmas a Carolina wren. They are common to our area of the country. I was surprised to see one because I thought they hibernated too.

My first sign of spring is not seeing the robin, but seeing the return of the red wing blackbirds.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

We have 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground with temps in the -10's. I keep my finch feeders full and marvel at the TONS of birds fighting to eat. They won't be able to access the ground for food until April this year I suppose.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: We saw a robin today

[ Edited ]

I've seen robins here on occasion in Winter in PA. As a matter of fact, last year after our big snow storm I took a pic of a chubby robin whose face looked like it was thinking what the heck standing in our (then cleaned/bare) driveway, with snow around the outside. The picture is so good, we actually got the picture blown up to an 8X10 and framed. Everyone loves it. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles