Honored Contributor

Re: We saw Paul McCartney last night

@Hooty

Oh hooty, if you and your husband were Beatle fans, if Sir Paul ever comes to your area, jump at the chance to see him. 

For a short time, my husband and I were love sick teenagers again.Heart

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Hooty

Oh hooty, if you and your husband were Beatle fans, if Sir Paul ever comes to your area, jump at the chance to see him. 

For a short time, my husband and I were love sick teenagers again.Heart

@lulu2, Oh we certainly will!  We have found a great group that impersonates the Beatles wonderfully, it is the Fab Four, we have seen them numerous times, and plan to see them in Nov.!

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

We too have seen Ringo with 2 different All Star bands.  We enjoyed the shows  but they did not create those same feelings seeing Paul McCartney did.  Face it, Ringo singing, "I Gotta be Your Man" is not quite the same as Paul singing, "Yesterday."

@lulu2  The only other time I saw McCartney in concert was in 2005, ten years before last fall's 2015 concert.  Whne he took out his guitar to sing "Yesterday," he said, "This is the guitar I used to sing Yesterday on the Ed Sullivan Show."   Oh, my goodness!   I was in the same room with Paul McCartney singing Yesterday - I could hardly believe it. If I had to pick a favorite Beatles song, it would be Yesterday.  

Until the 2015 concert, that 2005 concert was the best live concert I had ever seen.  I wasn't expecting the 2015 one to be as good because Paul was, after all, ten years older and his voice is very, very gradually diminishing (can't quite get those high notes the way he used to but pretty darn close).  Boy, was I suprirsed - I liked the 2015 concert even better, partly because of technology the visuals were even more impressive.  By the way, I know a lot of people who also went to the 2015 concert here, and every single one of them said it was the best concert they had ever seen.    

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

My husband and I saw him a few years ago and I have to say -- it was the best concert I ever saw!  I was amazed that he never stopped the whole time.  He puts performers half his age -- and younger -- to shame!  He sounds wonderful, he looks great!!!  I had a massive crush on him when I was younger.  To finally get to see him and hear him --- for real --- was tremendous --- huge  --- one of the biggest thrills of my life!!!! 

A couple years ago, we went to see Ringo and his All Starr Band.  This was good and very entertaining.  He couldn't hold a candle to Paul though!

But my husband and I said -- well, at least we got to see 2 of the Beatles!!!!

Similar story here.  I saw McCartney in June 1976 at the Cow Palace (Wings Over America tour).  More recently I saw Ringo and his band.  Don't sell Ringo short (is there a pun in there?) -- that was a great show.

Like you, I had to think about the reality of seeing only two Beatles in my lifetime.

Just have to add that Better-half is twelve years younger and was born a year and a half after The Beatles disbanded.  I dragged him to see Ringo and during the show he asked:

"Now who is this, again?"

I'm dragging him to see Boz Scaggs tonight.  When will I learn?

@just bee

Oh, that's funny!!  

I remember wanting so badly to see The Beatles when they came close to my hometown when I was young but there was no way I was allowed to go.  I always lamented never getting to see them.  I mean --- they are ---  THE BAND!!!  Legendary!!!  If I had to pick one band that I feel was the best and most important in history -- it has to be them!

As for Ringo -- oh, my --- his show was fun and I loved all the other performers with him.

But Paul?  No comparison!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

We too have seen Ringo with 2 different All Star bands.  We enjoyed the shows  but they did not create those same feelings seeing Paul McCartney did.  Face it, Ringo singing, "I Gotta be Your Man" is not quite the same as Paul singing, "Yesterday."

@lulu2

Oh, yeah, that's for sure.  No comparison!  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

@lulu2  The only other time I saw McCartney in concert was in 2005, ten years before last fall's 2015 concert.  Whne he took out his guitar to sing "Yesterday," he said, "This is the guitar I used to sing Yesterday on the Ed Sullivan Show."   Oh, my goodness!   I was in the same room with Paul McCartney singing Yesterday - I could hardly believe it. If I had to pick a favorite Beatles song, it would be Yesterday.  

Until the 2015 concert, that 2005 concert was the best live concert I had ever seen.  I wasn't expecting the 2015 one to be as good because Paul was, after all, ten years older and his voice is very, very gradually diminishing (can't quite get those high notes the way he used to but pretty darn close).  Boy, was I suprirsed - I liked the 2015 concert even better, partly because of technology the visuals were even more impressive.  By the way, I know a lot of people who also went to the 2015 concert here, and every single one of them said it was the best concert they had ever seen.    

@Pearlee

He is on a level all by himself!  These young ones -- a dime a dozen. They should stop and study Paul and how he performs, conducts himself on stage. his dedication and work ethic.  But, of course - the talent --- you have to have it -- if you don't -- forget it.  Plus, he has the love -- and it shows!!! 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@just bee  Groan!  Another pun!  And "disbanded" seems like such an understatement when, to me, it was a tragedy of epic proportion! Smiley Happy

I'm a huge Beatles fan - they came to America and were on the Ed Sullivan Show first when I was 12 years old and I've loved them ever since.  My standard for minimum age requirement in dating men was always that they at least had to remember Paul McCartney when he was in Wings.  Smiley Happy

One of my best friend's father was a producer of Ed Sullivan.  I was one of the girls recruited to be a screamer in the audience the second time the Beatles appeared on ES.

I was able to see numerous groups on ES.

Lulu - how hard did they have to work to recruit you to be in the audience.  They would not have had to work too hard to get me there.

Valued Contributor

Paulie!!!!  My first and forever love.  I know ladies, that is true for so many of us.  I am happy for all that got to see him.  He was at Fenway last week.  I could not afford the tickest.  Maybe I should not make so many purchases on QVC!!!  I agree, he looks GREAT!!!  My life has been so enriched by the Beatles.  I am "61" year old.  

Honored Contributor

@mariadomenica wrote:

Paulie!!!!  My first and forever love.  I know ladies, that is true for so many of us.  I am happy for all that got to see him.  He was at Fenway last week.  I could not afford the tickest.  Maybe I should not make so many purchases on QVC!!!  I agree, he looks GREAT!!!  My life has been so enriched by the Beatles.  I am "61" year old.  

@mariadomenica  Love your post!  That Fenway concert made the front page of Yahoo News the day after it, with the review from the Boston Globe so I read about it.   Ugh, outdoors in this weather  - I guess it didn't faze 75-yr-old Sir Paul.   I'm so glad I'll be indoors in air conditioning! 

The Beatles' music has had a huge effect on my life too, for over fifty years.  It's still my music of choice.  These aging rockers are dying off, as we've seen during 2016, and I have to say that when it's Sir Paul's time - hopefully not for many years to come since he seems to be in great shape- I will be truly devastated.  I've had a crush on him since I was 11 years old, and still do.  A musical genius who is truly a living legend.