Honored Contributor

Re: We're in the money , we're in the money ....

[ Edited ]

I can tell you why I do; because sometimes [explitave remove by Moderator] Poop happens that you don't expect and  you find yourself owing when you can least afford to. For me, it's knowing I won't have a nasty surprise courtesy of the Tax Man come April.

Whatever works for you, do it. Unless you're paying my bills, I don't give a rats' toot what you think about what I'm doing with my money, lol.

Respected Contributor

Not all the replies to OP are aimed at being "condescending" or "lecturing".  She asked what other people did with their refunds.  As one might expect when asking a question like that, opinions might crop up that involve another idea altogether about enjoying a tax refund.  I personally do not enjoy one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

Not all the replies to OP are aimed at being "condescending" or "lecturing".  She asked what other people did with their refunds.  As one might expect when asking a question like that, opinions might crop up that involve another idea altogether about enjoying a tax refund.  I personally do not enjoy one.

I don't see her asking that in her post. In any event, people get their panties in a twist when others don't see it their way. It happens all the time. Opinions are just that; opinions.

Honored Contributor

How much money did you get back? Being "in the money" for some could be $200.00 and for some $2000.00.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I can tell you why I do; because sometimes [explitave remove by Moderator] happens that you don't expect and  you find yourself owing when you can least afford to. For me, it's knowing I won't have a nasty surprise courtesy of the Tax Man come April.

Whatever works for you, do it. Unless you're paying my bills, I don't give a rats' toot what you think about what I'm doing with my money, lol.

Have to agree, there are many reasons why an individuals circumstances can change a tax situation i.e. changing jobs, selling house, moving, redeeming investments etc.  Many people like to be on the conservative side and make sure that enough tax is withheld to avoid paying taxes.  The best tax planning is not a guarentee. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I've never understood why some people have more taxes taken out, essentially using it as a 'no interest savings acct.' with the govt., instead of just adding it to their personal savings account, where they'll draw some interest, even if it's a small amount.

No willpower/self control possibly, IMO.

So anyone who gets a tax refund has no willpower or self control, possibly? Pretty broad brush you've got there, possibly.  IMO.

@Maudelynn

I didn't say that anyone who gets a refund has no willpower/self control. I clearly stated the instance I was referring to in the rest of my post.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

You must be getting quite a large refund.......good for you if you get psychological pleasure out of a big refund, but .......you can adjust your tax withholding to let Uncle Sam take less out of your monthly income and enjoy more money throughout the year. 

We try to pay just enough withholding tax to avoid a huge refund.  I don't like Uncle to have use of my money for long.  Even though the cash doesn't earn much interest in  bank accounts these days, it's better to know it's in MY bank earning some extra pennies,  instead of  being held for 12 months at the IRS bank.

YES this!! I actually get mad at myself if we get a large amount back because that means I didn't estimate it well enough. I want the money in MY bank throughout the year gaining as much interest as I can, not let Uncle Sam hold onto it. I never understand why so many like to get huge refunds back. Maybe it is best for those who aren't good at saving money?

ETA: oops just read the others posts and see some said the same thing. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm very happy for you and your family!

We didn't think we'd get a dime this year but we're going to get a small amount and we're thrilled....  Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Ugh.  It's that time of the year again for the lectures about tax refunds.  Some feel so superior about not getting a refund and letting everyone else know just how stupid they are.