Esteemed Contributor

Re: We're in the money , we're in the money ....

@Trinity11 wrote:

The OP frequently admonishes posters here who spend their money on "luxuries" so it surprises me that since she is so careful with money that she allows the government to hold on to her's. Next time she let's everyone know how stupid we are to buy luxury goods, maybe she should remember her own history here in this thread.

I was taught that if you do not like what someone does, don't stoop to their level and do the same thing.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't consider any amount of interest that today's money earns to be insigificant or not worth the trouble of putting  into savings that will compound over time. 

I admit I'm a little odd about money in some other respects.  For example, I like to have my money where I can see it and get my hands on it when I  choose to touch it, not when someone else decides to let me at it.  Tax collectors  that hold more than the necessary amount of money are not my friends, any more than a bank is being friendly when it puts a hold on deposits until it decides the depositor can have access to them.

I spent years overpaying quarterly estimated income taxes when I was selling real estate and couldn't predict my total income.  As long as I have a good idea of what income is going to be like by the end of the year, I'd like to not give up more tax money than necessary.

I also realize that our household is fortunate to be able to have taxes prepared by an accountant in a  CPA  firm who happens to be a former IRS lawyer.    She not only tells us how much to pay every quarter, but even gives us pre-addressed envelopes to send to the state and federal government.

Honored Contributor

I think people who plan so they don't get a refund , when they start hearing about others getting their refund, especially if those folks  are getting a large refund, there is a jealousy there because they have nothing in hand - they have probably spent their money already and now they hear others getting a big check.Even though it is really only a refund of their own money.

We actually get the max SS allows taken from our checks each month. This way we can pay our taxes and insurances in an annual lump and not have to pay quarterly or whatever and pay a service charge to do that. We probably save more not paying those fees than we would have made in interest. We have done this for our entire 33 year marriage and it works well for us.I don't really understand why it bothers so many here so much. Why would they care?

I actually wrote this thread because I was AMAZED that it actually arrived on the exact day it was supposed to. In the past it has always been later.

Honored Contributor

Wow @151949. I don't think anyone is jealous! We pay our taxes in a lump sum. No fees involved. And yes, we can afford it. Not everyone has to be on a strict budget. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

The OP frequently admonishes posters here who spend their money on "luxuries" so it surprises me that since she is so careful with money that she allows the government to hold on to her's. Next time she let's everyone know how stupid we are to buy luxury goods, maybe she should remember her own history here in this thread.

I was taught that if you do not like what someone does, don't stoop to their level and do the same thing.

And I was taught to express myself and not roll over and play dead. Woman Happy

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure it's hard to post on a shopping board when you're on a tighter budget than many people. Maybe getting a refund makes her feel better.  More power to her!

Honored Contributor

Whatever - there is some reason so many of you are in such a radical tizzy over such a small , insignificant thing. 

I expected people to say how they planned to spend their refunds not to lamb bast those of us who get them, but then, I should know by now you can count on that kind of behavior on the QVC boards so shame on me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

And I was taught to express myself and not roll over and play dead. Woman Happy

Not really playing dead, just choosing not to play the game. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Frequent Contributor

We get back what we put out in the universe.