Respected Contributor

Re: We're giving up on grocery delivery

@suzyQ3 , I don't know if you have Shipt in your area, but my delivery came and I DID get an itemized receipt as well as detail information about what was substituted and the price. It was also visible before I rated or tipped the shopper.

Shipt requires a membership (annual or monthly) to use, but I've found the shoppers seem to do a better job than Instacart. I'm pretty good about including notes about substitutions and they're good about following. Some of them text me while they shop or send photos of what's available and ask me to pick.

They've even added a generic "Best available wipe" or "best available toilet paper" and today I used that and got TWO canisters of wipes! I've been hoarding three wipes for weeks (not three canisters, three individual wipes) and now I feel like I won the lottery.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used both Shipt and Wal Mart delivery!!  I use Wal Mart more often!!  Have not had problems. At the beginning of the virus issue, the order times and dates were tight.  But now, I can get an order within two days!!  I do give specific instructions for substitutions, cold/frozen foods and use by dates....

Honored Contributor

The Instacart model might work well under more favorable conditions, when stores actually have plenty to offer... Regardless, I prefer the low tech, low impact delivery services. The last thing I want, especially now with shelves that are often bare, is some 'shopper' texting me every two minutes about a substitution. I literally had about fifty texts last week from the shopper until I texted him to call me, at which point I told him if, in his judgement, there was a reasonable substitute to buy it and otherwise to refund me, but to stop texting me... Sheesh... I like Peapod, you simply tell them up front whether or not you accept substitutions... There's none of this going item by item nonsense... They use their judgement and I've rarely been disappointed... If you aren't happy with their choice, you can return the item... If I wanted to spend all day on my phone texting instructions, I might as well just go to the store myself... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used Shipt for 3 years and they are a good company to deal with.   The shoppers are great and they text me with any details while they are shopping.  "Out of Charmin.  Another brand?"  

They have been a life saver for me!  I get the same shopper and she is pickier than I am!

The website also keeps up with your purchases and has a category called BUY AGAIN.  It makes shopping easier.  We buy the same items over again frequently.  They also have weekly specials and BOGOs just like the stores do.  Usually matches the stores weekly ad.  It's easy to make the site work for you!

Honored Contributor

I’m trying to figure out why I’m uncomfortable with the idea of Instacart or a similar service where someone “shops” for me and yet I am perfectly happy with WalMart Grocery Pickup. Someone is still picking my groceries for me... It stirs me odd.  Not that I’m odd, kind you! Smiley Wink lol

Respected Contributor

I think it really depends on where you live.  I have never used Instacart but I know those that do.  I also know some who pickup at Target. 

In the last month, I've used Amazon Whole Foods and have had a very good experience.  One time, zero substitutions - everything I ordered.  Other times I've gotten some subs but they were mostly sizes - like I wanted a 16oz package of frozen strawberries and only 10oz organic was available (had I shopped myself, that would have been no different).  Those are no big deal. This last time I did decline a couple of subs and that is also your perogative. 

It's been pretty easy.  They notify me when the shopper starts, the shopper lets me know if there are any subs (I can accept or decline) and can also message them.  Twice I had a morning shopper and a 11am-1pm delivery time and got the deliveries at 11:30am.  All the produce was very good but that is probably because Whole Foods has good quality produce (maybe that wouldn't be the case everywhere).  I'm also able to get a lot of organic products. I get my receipt by email (it's also showing on my Amazon account).

A couple of times it did take me rechecking to get a delivery time (I didn't want 9p-11p), but I always got one in a reasonable amount of time (usually within a couple of days).

One interesting thing -- it's gotten me to try some new things!  One time I was planning on ordering frozen salmon but they were out so I went with arctic char, and it's delicious!!! 

I am thrilled to have this option and very pleased with the service.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusanH wrote:

I used InstaCart one and it was horrible.  Never again.

Same for me.  I had heard good things about it, but it ended up being too stressful.

The shopper paid no attention to the substitutions I had selected ahead of time, and texted me literally non-stop the entire trip, asking about substitutions.  And then she made her own decisions anyway.  One of them was expensive and something she knew I definitely didn't want because I had specifically just told her.  (I could not have been more clear that I didn't want any substitutions for it at all.)

She sent photos of shelves to show me what was available, and I could see in the photos the exact items I had wanted originally.  

She also gave me incorrect info about limits, got confused with what she was actually purchasing, and had to keep re-doing the charges. I caught a lot of mistakes as she was shopping, mistakes that would have slipped thru if I wasn't watching so closely..  It was exhausting being on this shopping trip with her, every step of the way.  Not how I had envisioned it at all.

Worst of all is that CS is pretty much non-existent.  A few days after this, they sent an email indicating that an address had been added to my account and I should contact them immediately if I hadn't added it.  Good luck with that!  I was in a panic because I hadn't added it, but all I could reach was their chat, which kept timing out. Phone number indicated they weren't taking calls.  That was it for me. No help at all when they were aware someone might have gotten into my account.  I was able to delete everything on my own, but I prayed it wasn't too late. I wouldn't do business with them again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The Instacart model might work well under more favorable conditions, when stores actually have plenty to offer... Regardless, I prefer the low tech, low impact delivery services. The last thing I want, especially now with shelves that are often bare, is some 'shopper' texting me every two minutes about a substitution. I literally had about fifty texts last week from the shopper until I texted him to call me, at which point I told him if, in his judgement, there was a reasonable substitute to buy it and otherwise to refund me, but to stop texting me... Sheesh... I like Peapod, you simply tell them up front whether or not you accept substitutions... There's none of this going item by item nonsense... They use their judgement and I've rarely been disappointed... If you aren't happy with their choice, you can return the item... If I wanted to spend all day on my phone texting instructions, I might as well just go to the store myself... 

That's exactly how I felt after my Instacart experience.

I  specifed acceptable substitutions (or "No substitution") ahead of time, and I have no idea why Instacart offers that if the shopper was just going to take me along on the entire shopping trip with her and question each and every item.  It was extremely time-consuming and frustrating, and that was time I would have loved to use for something else.

Honored Contributor

I have been having pretty good luck with Aldi Instacart delivery.  This last one I got was not so good. The delivery person broke eggs, broought substitute products when I speficially said no substitutes,etc. I did voice my displeasure on their site and I did hear back and am supposed to get a credit on next order. So, we'll see if that happens!  Kind of on the same vein, I had ordered from another place, some personal care products which take normally 7-10 days and they informed me it will now take at least 21 days or longer!  Sheesh --- it just gets better and better! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I am not ready to have someone else do my grocery shopping. It is off-putting to think about someone touching my groceries (I know, I know, lots of people have), putting them in their car, etc. And too, I have seen them in action in stores wheeling around as if they are on a scavenger hunt! Do they get paid by the number of orders they fulfill? 

Everytime I look at my neighborhood Trader Joe's I am saddened. As a child I remember seeing a picture of people standing in line for cheese during the Depression. The image of that photo has never left me and today that is what it looks like at my TJs. Lines a block long looking sad because of physical distancing. Add what might be a food shortage and could history be repeating itself?