Contributor

Re: We're giving up on grocery delivery

I used InstaCart one and it was horrible.  Never again.

Esteemed Contributor

My first two orders with instacart were great. I had the same shopper. The last order was a different shopper, and she did not get what I ordered. Since I did not want contact I left her tip on the door, and did not see what was in the bags.

She ended up with a great tip,and I did not get what I ordered. So I paid the fee's plus tip for nothing. I am going to get my gloves and mask and go myself. It's not worth it. 

Respected Contributor

It would certainly be stressful to have so many problems with order delivery, especially without a receipt.

I began using Instacart for Costco when I broke my foot last year.  I was very happy with the service so picked right back up with them when the virus appeared.

I put my order in and about an hour out from earliest delivery time, get online and talk with shopper.  If something is out, they advise and take a picture and send for possible replacement.

You can see in real time as they are shopping what has gone in the cart.  Substitutions and "out of stock" appear on my screen as credits to my account.

Upon delivery, I can find my final receipt on the online order.  I have had no problems whatsoever.

I am in Maryland, right outside of DC.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

That's really too bad, with the instacart problems.

I've used them a few times.  I always got what I requested, or, a selected substitute. I never had an issue, with wrong charges. 

I prefer Walmart, mainly because, the stores that instacart shops, are more expensive, at least here.  

Honored Contributor

I only live one block away from the supermarket, there's another grocer around the corner the other way,  The deli is across the street.

I'm in the so-called high risk group - but so are so many people aound here and I see them all when I'm at any of the stores.

In NYC - masks and 5' distance is required.  And, surprisingly, everyone is obedient!  

There is also Amazon - both subscription and Pantry,

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all the responses. Yes, I was very pleased with everything about the deliveries -- being able to receive and send texts to the shopper and of course the convenience and safety -- but can't abide this inconsistency and lack of transparency that we've been getting.

I think I'll put my Hazmat outfit on and brave going into the store. At least that way, even though, we've had pretty good luck, I know what I'll be getting; plus, oh, joy of picking out my own produce. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have ordered 4 times ,from two different stores,no problems at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

At-home grocery delivery seemed to begin as an experimental alternative for those with disposable incomes to cover the cost of the service and the convenience.

Not sure they ever realized they would be inundated with overwhelming demands!

And boy, those shoppers are picky and not overly generous with tips.

Unfortunately, the workers are settling for the usual underpaid gig jobs that barely pay survival-level wages. 

I am not sure how the US economy can improve as so many jobs now are low-paying/no benefits service-oriented. 

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

At-home grocery delivery seemed to begin as an experimental alternative for those with disposable incomes to cover the cost of the service and the convenience.

Not sure they ever realized they would be inundated with overwhelming demands!

And boy, those shoppers are picky and not overly generous with tips.

Unfortunately, the workers are settling for the usual underpaid gig jobs that barely pay survival-level wages. 

I am not sure how the US economy can improve as so many jobs now are low-paying/no benefits service-oriented. 

@FancyPhillyshopper, just for the record, I was fine with every subtitute or an item being out of stock; and we have been generous with the shoppers. It's a thankless job.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    I'd say you could give shopping for yourself a try, especially if you're willling to go a bit early, during senior shopping time.  Where I live, it's 8-9 at Whole Foods, I think the same at Trader Joe's.  I am in and out of the store in 20 minutes or less.  We barely have any contact with each other. 

At Trader Joe's, the cashier even has you pull your receipt out  of the register, yourself!   They have done so much to make shopping safer.  Those carts have never been so clean!