Trusted Contributor

Re: We’re Surrounded! Wild Horses

@On It   What a beautiful way to start the morning - for you and for me.  Thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

How magical, to see wild horses all the time.

What a beautiful place

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

Just so amazing, love seeing this,but i do wonder with the roads there in your pictures,i sure hope none get hit by cars.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Beautiful.  There is an area in Reno where the wild horses will come right into the yards.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Just so amazing, love seeing this,but i do wonder with the roads there in your pictures,i sure hope none get hit by cars.

Signs are everywhere to watch for wildlife. Speed limits are low. The street beside the park carries a good amount of traffic. The one in front of my house is a less traveled side street with a sharp curve you cannot see in the photos that almost stops cars. There is a 4-way stop sign on the street by the park just past the front yard photo. The horses are street smart. The rule is wildlife have the right of way. New Mexico is an open range state. Drivers are aware.

We have elk herds and deer here as well. We also have coyotes, mountain lions, and bear. An electronic sign is posted as visitors enter the village that says "Watch for Wildlife." The streets are winding and force a driver to stay alert.

Edited to add: The middle "street" in the front photo is the long driveway to the house across the street. 

Trusted Contributor

What a wonderful place to live @On It ! Lucky you!

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Lots of coyotes.  We had one in the yard last night in Albuquerque.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@On It   Oh thank you - we have other close friend who made the permanent move from the very cold and snowy Miwaukee WI to Santa Fe. Not sure if they're close to you or not as I don't know my geography of New Mexico but they rave about yes still changing of seasons but all of the landscape Changes they now have.

@PINKdogWOOD.  Santa Fe is the highest state capitol in the US, over 7,000ft with a ski area, hardly a warm escape from winter storms.  Here's a picture of the plaza this week.  It's nowhere near where @On It  is located, but there are wild horses and elk in other locations nearby.

Screenshot_20231203_101116_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@On It   I'm on the east coast, and have no plans of moving, but if I did, I'd love to be in your neighborhood.  To be able to see those magnificent creatures is heaven.  

Are you allowed to feed them or leave out goodies?  Does the park have veterinary services for them?

I wish them all safe and happy lives.  Thank you for sharing.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@luvzchiz In response to your question about feeding the animals, village ordinances prohibit feeding wildlife. Signs are posted throughout the village. Police respond to anyone feeding them. The idea is these are Wild Animals and should be treated as such. They know how to locate food sources in the forest.

The park across the street is owned by the village with a dog park, tennis courts, and a golf course and part of it is the school district's soccer and baseball fields. The animals roam into the park and will graze there. The horses like it because it is relatively flat, and they can run. Those guys can fly across that open area. There are no routine veterinary services since the idea is for the animals to remain wild.

Thank you for your good wishes.