Respected Contributor

Re: We’re Surrounded! Wild Horses

@On It wrote:

@luvzchiz In response to your question about feeding the animals, village ordinances prohibit feeding wildlife. Signs are posted throughout the village. Police respond to anyone feeding them. The idea is these are Wild Animals and should be treated as such. They know how to locate food sources in the forest.

The park across the street is owned by the village with a dog park, tennis courts, and a golf course and part of it is the school district's soccer and baseball fields. The animals roam into the park and will graze there. The horses like it because it is relatively flat, and they can run. Those guys can fly across that open area. There are no routine veterinary services since the idea is for the animals to remain wild.

Thank you for your good wishes. 

@On It   Thanks for your answers.  What a wonderful place for animals and humans to share.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

What a gift! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful corner of the world.

Esteemed Contributor

You should never feed wild animals, for a variety of reasons. Several weeks ago a woman in Prescott AZ was killed by the Elk she was feeding.

Respected Contributor

@On It   Love it!!  If I lived where you do I would never get anything done as I would be watching animals all day...and that is not a bad thing.

Please keep your photos coming!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee   Yes, we have a problem with coyotes coming into the yard where I live to.  Can't just let my dog out by herself at night because I'm afraid one may get her. We live on a large farm in a rural area too, so I don't bother with a leash during the daytime.  

I have a camera that records nightly activity of the wildlife. I was shocked to see just how many coyotes were coming right by the house. Plus, they must be very hungry because I watched one actually knocking pears from my tree and eating them.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@just bee   Yes, we have a problem with coyotes coming into the yard where I live to.  Can't just let my dog out by herself at night because I'm afraid one may get her. We live on a large farm in a rural area too, so I don't bother with a leash during the daytime.  

I have a camera that records nightly activity of the wildlife. I was shocked to see just how many coyotes were coming right by the house. Plus, they must be very hungry because I watched one actually knocking pears from my tree and eating them.

@cheriere 

Funny you mention that.  On either side of the Rio Grande we have a forest, or bosque, that separates the east and west sides of Albuquerque.

It's a great place to walk a dog because there are plenty of trees and shade.

One day we parked in the church parking lot near the entrance to the bosque.  We sat in the car and watched several coyotes climb trees to get whatever was growing in them.  The coyotes shook the branches so the "treats" would drop to the ground for the coyotes below.

I've seen plenty of coyotes here but I'd never seen them in trees before that day.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Love this @On It   - a lucky lady indeed - wow!

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee   I hadn't seen them do that either until this past summer.  We have apple trees and watermelons I also saw one eating...it was crazy!  It made me feel bad for the coyotes, i mean I hate to think of any animal starving to that point. A coyote eating fruits is just unbelievable ! But I  can't have them in my yard around my little dog. They'd surely go after her!  

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@just bee   I hadn't seen them do that either until this past summer.  We have apple trees and watermelons I also saw one eating...it was crazy!  It made me feel bad for the coyotes, i mean I hate to think of any animal starving to that point. A coyote eating fruits is just unbelievable ! But I  can't have them in my yard around my little dog. They'd surely go after her!  

@cheriere 

Coyotes prefer meat, of course, but an online source offers this:

10% of the coyote’s food source is plant-based. These animals will consume products such as blackberries, blueberries, peaches, pears, apples, prickly pears, peanuts, watermelons, carrots and more. They will also consume large quantities of certain grass varieties.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee  Wow! Thanks for posting that information about coyotes. I had no idea they ate fruits & berries. My dad will get a hoot out of this. He loves watching the nightly wildlife recordings.