Honored Contributor

'We'll Meet Again' Singer Who Boosted Britain's Spirit in World War II, Vera Lynn, Dies at 103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X1D2h8AheU

Her signature song boosted the spirits of the British during World War II.

What an upbeat, hopeful song.  I love it.  May she rest in peace.

Some of you might remember that the song closed out the movie Dr. Strangelove.

Honored Contributor

Re: 'We'll Meet Again' Singer Who Boosted Britain's Spirit in World War II, Vera Lynn, Dies at 103

[ Edited ]

In her "Pandemic Speech," Queen Elizabeth alluded to the song as she tried to encourage her subjects during these stressful and frightening times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgatTGlW6L8

Contributor

Re: 'We'll Meet Again' Singer Who Boosted Britain's Spirit in World War II, Vera Lynn, Dies at 103

Thank You for posting.  Brought tears to my eyes. As a war baby (born March 1939) in London,  I remember so well all her songs during that time.

Respected Contributor

GoodBye Vera Lynn. You did much to lift the hearts of a nation in the midst of war.  We'll meet again,  Some Sunny Day.

Honored Contributor

Vera Lynn's song "Till We Meet Again" is played in the Tower of Terror Queue in Walt  Disney World.

Several months ago my friend had a podcast about her and the song.

Respected Contributor

We'll Meet Again and The White Cliffs of Dover.  Two great songs of hers

Respected Contributor

Check out the "D-Day Darlings" on YouTube - they were on one of those talent shows.  They bring this era back to life.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

My 24 year old granddaughter is a student and lover of history and all things vintage.  She was a big fan of Vera Lynn.  

Honored Contributor

Katherine Jenkins did a live performance from the Royal Albert Hall featuring many of Vera Lynn's songs in honor of VE Day. You can find it on YouTube if anyone's interested. It was very well done.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

"Thank you" to those who wrote that they, too, are moved by this song.  When I read islington's post, I thought that I cannot possibly imagine how moving this song of sheer optimism is for her.

Yes, it makes me tear up as well, but it has to be so much more dear to her heart.