Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@NicksmomESQ makes some very good points; these were the same complaints I remember hearing many years ago. No one leased unless it was a company car because it favored the dealership 100%. But things have dramatically changed especially since more people now lease than buy. You can still be taken advantage of but that's happens in sales as well. For us, leasing saved us a ton because we were able to break the leases on each car that was defective; that would have been a nightmare had we purchased instead.

Bottom line, you have to know what you want; you need to read the fine print  and you need decide what works best for you should you choose to lease.

i dont think that is accurate @SahmIam  that more people lease than buy when speaking about new vehicles.

In the first quarter of 2019, over 29 percent of vehicles leased in the United States were new vehicles, with the others being sold outright.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/453122/share-of-new-vehicles-on-lease-usa/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 I stand corrected. Thank you for posting the info.

I remember reading a report last year regarding auto manufacturers and where the profits were regarding they type of vehicles they were making/would make in the future. One of the discussions was the number of leases growing in the US; to the point more were leasing than buying. It also discussed the contract years and I initially thought they meant those who leased and then bought said lease; no, it was buyers now signing up for 7-10 years of having a car loan for new and used cars. 

I thought "WOW".

In any event, people need to do what's best for them. 

Respected Contributor

First of all, Cadillac is a terrible vehicle. Not only are they hideous (in my opinion) but they have ALWAYS had issues! Toyota's last forever and are one of the best car manufacturers in the World- ask any mechanic! 

Second of all, buying out a lease is not a good deal. You will understand at the end of your lease!

Also, if your friend's had new cars, then they should never be stranded anywhere. THis doesn't even make sense. New cars have SOS and don't just break down!

We lease because we enjoy having new cars every three years but, it's not a smart thing to do. Owning a car for a long period of time (10yrs) is the best option financially! 

Respected Contributor

She doesn't make sense and her statements are ridiculous and invalid. 

Honored Contributor

Re: We leased a car

[ Edited ]

You still have the same stranded at 1:00 a.m. dilemma whether the car is leased and experiences a problem or you own it and it has a problem.  

I have never had a leased vehicle where the maintenance was free.  All repairs are free but when the oil needs changing, it's on us to change it.  Some lease buy-outs are a complete rip-off too.  It's not as simple as just buying if you like the vehicle.

We are leasing a truck right now because we really needed one and didn't know what we wanted.  We knew from the get go the truck we were leasing wasn't going to be a truck we'd ever want to buy.  Unfortunately, the truck we'd really love to own is $75,000.00 and I will never be able to justify that price.  

Going over mileage on this lease won't be an issue because the truck isn't our daily driver.  Even if it was, we both work within 5 miles of home and don't put a ton of miles on our vehicles.

After all of the problems I've had with my last new car, that I am still driving, I will never buy a brand new vehicle again.  I am going to look into leasing or I will buy a certified used car.  I'm done with new. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

First of all, Cadillac is a terrible vehicle. Not only are they hideous (in my opinion) but they have ALWAYS had issues! Toyota's last forever and are one of the best car manufacturers in the World- ask any mechanic! 

Second of all, buying out a lease is not a good deal. You will understand at the end of your lease!

Also, if your friend's had new cars, then they should never be stranded anywhere. THis doesn't even make sense. New cars have SOS and don't just break down!

We lease because we enjoy having new cars every three years but, it's not a smart thing to do. Owning a car for a long period of time (10yrs) is the best option financially! 

Not sure why you think a new car doesn't ever break down and leave you stranded.  I had a new car that left me stranded in a restaurant parking lot.  I had to have it towed to the dealership and waited over an hour for the towing company to arrive to me.

People get cars that are lemons or have faulty parts, etc. and they break down.  It's nothing new.     

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

That's funny ask our neighbor with a 2019 Camary that left them stranded 4 times this yr!

The electrical system went out, fuel pump replaced 2 times, water pump replaced and something with the starter system.

or my co-worker

2019 Highlander also a lemon, just got rid of it due to numerous problems and she travels far and wide with kids in travel leagues.  

I do not think any brand is above problems, major problems.  Things are not made to last and no one cares.  

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I always lease.  We had owned cars in the past that constantly needed repairs.  With a 3 year lease when it is up we turn it in and get another lease.  Yes you are always making a payment but the reward is a new car every 3 years and repairs (if any) are done at the dealer.  As an aside, Honda gave us free car washes and Toyota gave us free oil changes for 3 years.  Not for everyone I know but it fits us.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   leasing seems to have improved over the years. i was very emotional and leased a sporty red toyota in 1990. no money down.  low payments. there would be a balloon payment at the end (if i kept the car) my ex husband sneakily arranged the deal - he worked at the dealership. (everything you hear about sleazy sales guys is true.  we were going thru a divorce and he wanted to get me out of the car i was driving so i would not ask for it in the divorce)

at that time i  wasn't advised about gap insurance, if it even existed. it was not offerred or even mentioned. a year or so later i found myself struggling to make lease payments.  i tried to get out of the lease but no dealer would take it.  i even put some ads up at the market hoping somone would take over the lease.

then my vehicle was stolen and totaled.  blessing in disguise? not.  the thieves took all the seats and smashed up the car.  the shell of my car was found outside a body shop the next day.  my insurance company did not cover the amount i owed - the payments had been pro-rated. i owed a couple ks and to make things worse i was forced to have a recorded phone conversation with the agent in which i stated that i did not arrange for my car to be stolen!

i'll never forget getting ready for work one morning and seeing my parking spot empty!

this was my car

Image result for 1990 toyota corolla sr5 sport coupe

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   leasing seems to have improved over the years. i was very emotional and leased a sporty red toyota in 1990. no money down.  low payments. there would be a balloon payment at the end (if i kept the car) my ex husband sneakily arranged the deal - he worked at the dealership. (everything you hear about sleazy sales guys is true.  we were going thru a divorce and he wanted to get me out of the car i was driving so i would not ask for it in the divorce)

at that time i  wasn't advised about gap insurance, if it even existed. it was not offerred or even mentioned. a year or so later i found myself struggling to make lease payments.  i tried to get out of the lease but no dealer would take it.  i even put some ads up at the market hoping somone would take over the lease.

then my vehicle was stolen and totaled.  blessing in disguise? not.  the thieves took all the seats and smashed up the car.  the shell of my car was found outside a body shop the next day.  my insurance company did not cover the amount i owed - the payments had been pro-rated. i owed a couple ks and to make things worse i was forced to have a recorded phone conversation with the agent in which i stated that i did not arrange for my car to be stolen!

i'll never forget getting ready for work one morning and seeing my parking spot empty!

this was my car

Image result for 1990 toyota corolla sr5 sport coupe

@CatsyCline 

I'm sorry you had to go through a rough time because of a car.  Your red Toyota sports car sure was a beauty, I can see why you miss it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: We leased a car

[ Edited ]

When I purchased my first car it was a Chevrolet because that is what my father always drove and I was familiar with the make.  I drove Chevy's for years until my ex-husband bought a car for our daughter...a Monte Carlo monster.  He was living in northern CA and daughter and I were in southern CA so he drove it and delivered it to us.  My daughter took one look at the car and said there was no way she was going to drive it, it was not the kind of car she should drive for a number of reasons I can't go into here.

Long story short, we got rid of the Monte Carlo, I gave her my Chevy Impala and leased a brand spanking new 1984 Toyota Camry which I loved and purchased it when the lease expired.  It was ten years old when it was stolen, broke my heart, that car was like new, never had a problem with it. In 1994 I purchased  a Toyota Corolla and still have it.  The one problem I found that Corolla's have are the brakes, other than that never had any other problems with it. 

Since I broke my hip in 2015 I haven't driven but if I were to get on the road again it would be a leased Toyota.  In the meantime my Corolla sits in it's parking space and is used as an emergency car for my daughter should she need it...she pays for the insurance which payments are low and since Lindsay is now sixteen she can drive it when she gets her license if she wants to.  Toyota's served me well so I will stay with them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam