Honored Contributor

Re: We have reached a sad milestone

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Keep in mind our population is much larger so we should be well above the smaller countries.  It's just simple math.

@Katcat1 Feel better soon!  ❤️

Our population is not larger than China.

We've not been shut down like China.  Freedom has lots of price tags, unfortunately.

@Laura14 

What the heck does your answer have to do with the fact that China's population is much larger than the U.S.?

Honored Contributor

The warm weather theory as far as I'm concerned is not correct. Cuba and other warmer climate countries are dealing with the virus too.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thank you, @PA Mom-mom. This virus is much different than our annual flu in ways that make it far more frightening.

Yes, @suzyQ3.   It's important not to try and compare this new COVID-19 with seasonal flu.   I was listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci interviewed and he said that COVID-19 is much more highly transmissible and has a high degree of mortality, morbidity.   The growth rate has been rapid, too.   We have to look at growth rate, death rate, and look at it exponentially rather than linearly.   I think this website does a good job of explaining this:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

This part of the site has their charts, maps, visualizations (in some cases these are more helpful -- for me -- than just reading the explanations):

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

The warm weather theory as far as I'm concerned is not correct. Cuba and other warmer climate countries are dealing with the virus too.

I.e. Australia.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@PA Mom-mom

Your information references  over a 4 - 5 month period.

The USA is at  1 - 1/12 months, almost.

And also overlooks that the pneumonia that occurs with influenza is typically a secondary bacterial infection which can be treated with IV antibiotics.

The pneumonia seen with COVID-19 is a whole nother story.  Certainly not bacterial, doctors just throw whatever they have at it.  Many doctors have started calling it a lung eater.  Patients needing ventilator support are not only requiring far longer times on the ventilator than typical for pneumonia associated with flu, the patient requires much higher settings of all components to even try to adequately oxygenate the patient.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Who knew something like this could happen.  People need to take this seriously.  I have been in my apt. for over 10 days as I developed Bronchitis and was very sick. I took my last antibiotic today.  My dr. extended my antibiotic 4 days.   I am just about back to normal and I am taking no chances with this Coronavirus.  Stay healthy and stay safe.

P.S.  I ordered a black mask that protects you against bacteria, virus, dust, other allergens.  I will hopefully have it by Monday.  I have to take medicine that suppresses my immune system so I am susceptible to infections, etc. easily.  I paid $29.95.  It's made in the U.S. in California.

Prayers for your strength and health, @Katcat1.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo 

Not wanting to infect your post, so adding here Smiley Happy

Dr. Fauci has previously mentioned @ 4 times as high.

I think he is a national treasure.

Sadly, there is lots of shading going on about the information.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

We have a university in our town. Over a break, one of the young men decided he’d go to NYC for a vacation. He came back and it was determined he has the virus and they’re estimating he has been exposed to at least 300 people. The ramifications of just this one person is beyond upsetting. Before this, there were no reported cases. 

Respected Contributor

"Who knew something like this could happen?" was asked.

There has been concern and fear for several years of those that study and research viruses that a major outbreak of an unknown virus would become pandemic and the world was severely ill prepared.

Honored Contributor

Very scary thought that we relax when (if) the virus slows down this summer and then it comes back in the Fall and kills millions of people like the 1918 pandemic.

I know, I'm a ray of sunshine.