Respected Contributor

Re: We have reached a sad milestone

@Drythe wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Seems fishy to me that China w/a population of approx. 1.5 BILLION people would only report 81,000 people testing positive for this virus, especially if it is true that China was the epicenter of this disease and I believe it was from all accounts.

The USA with a population of approx. 350 MILLION, (much less than China) would surpass China's numbers, which we are now.  Seems to me China did not and is not reporting true numbers.

As far as doctors being silenced, the poster may be referring to doctors on utube that are trying to speak out on this virus and having their channels withdrawn and deleted from utube because they don't go along with the fear and frenzy agenda of the news media and that the nation should go bankrupt because of it. 

Agreed, a very sad milestone for our Country.

@jellyBEAN 

China was the starting point for this virus.  Ok.  Is the USA reliant on China for our long range health care planning?  The potential of a pandemic has been known here for a good while.  Since China and other countries are ‘fishy’ we should have been watching, gathering our own information, and preparing.  

A Nation doesn’t base the creation and direction of a national health plan or manage a health crises based on YouTube, or the media. 

If on top of costing so much loss of life, the lack planning & direction here also bankrupts the nation, that will be doubly sad, but not on China, or the media.

@Drythe   Never did I call China fishy or any other country for that matter as you are stating I did.  Where in my post did I write that?  I wrote the NUMBERS being reported out of China SEEMS FISHY TO ME.  imo they don't add up to their large population. 

These forums are for discussion, or so I thought.  Would be nice to be able to write here w/o admonishment for expressing a viewpoint or a thought.   Yeeeeeessh. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

And yet our deaths are 1/3 of theirs.

Valued Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

And yet our deaths are 1/3 of theirs.

China’s outbreak began almost three months earlier than here in the US. It is believed that their curve has peaked whereas ours is still weeks away. Anyway, regardless of statistics, my heart goes out to the suffering everywhere in the world. On that I am sure we all agree.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3, My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

I do wonder how accurate the statistics are.  We have a family friend who got a script for the test after experiencing some symptoms.  He made an appointment for testing at a CT hospital drive through site.  He went, and the test was fast and efficient.  This is the tenth day after his test, and he has not gotten his results.  Phone calls here and there, and it sounds like the test material was sent to California for testing.  There is a record of his initial test and his doc, but he is being told there is a backlog.  Fortunately, over time his symptoms have gotten much better.  And he has been at home during this whole process.

I did tell him if he had been some sort of a politician or celebrity, things would be on a fast track.  This is making me very angry.  We are all important.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner, the U.S. and China are not even close in population. Check out both on worldometer.com.

@suzyQ3 I know that.  Only China and India are really close.  However, I believe absolutely no statistics coming from China.  

The last time I checked, no European countries were anywhere near the top, and it's possible India will outpace China.  

Rankings right now are:

1. USA 94K

2. Italy 86K

3. China 81K

4. Spain 64K

5. Germany 49K

3 in the top 5 are in Europe

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Keep in mind our population is much larger so we should be well above the smaller countries.  It's just simple math.

@Katcat1 Feel better soon!  ❤️

Our population is not larger than China.

We've not been shut down like China.  Freedom has lots of price tags, unfortunately.

@Laura14 

What the heck does your answer have to do with the fact that China's population is much larger than the U.S.?

I was wondering the same thing.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

We have a university in our town. Over a break, one of the young men decided he’d go to NYC for a vacation. He came back and it was determined he has the virus and they’re estimating he has been exposed to at least 300 people. The ramifications of just this one person is beyond upsetting. Before this, there were no reported cases. 

@Teddie 

Sorry to hear this.  Our university system has been closed statewide for almost 2 weeks.  The students will not return until first summer session - maybe.

Many 4th Medical Students are volunteering in the hospitals and community testing sites.  By the time they reach 4th year they generally don't live in campus housing and are full-time residents, so they are still here, thank goodness.

We are under a 'Stay At Home' order.

@JaneMarple  - tagging you because I think you keep up with        things in this area.  Excuse if I am mistaken.

@Drythe  Yes, everything is closed down here now as well. This happened awhile ago.  He came back, went to his dorm room, and went out with many friends and partied in the different bars.