Honored Contributor

Re: We have reached a sad milestone

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Keep in mind our population is much larger so we should be well above the smaller countries.  It's just simple math.

@Katcat1 Feel better soon!  ❤️

Our population is not larger than China.

China kept the disease quiet for months, let it spread, locked people in their homes with or without food, and is still lying to this day.  

@Blahblahvampemer 

Again, another answer that is totally unrelated to the statement of fact that China's population is much larger than the U.S.

What's up with that?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Not wanting to infect your post, so adding here Smiley Happy

Dr. Fauci has previously mentioned 4 times as high.

I think he is a national treasure.

Sadly, there is lots of shading going on about the information.

@Drythe,  In the interview I heard, he said "the H1N1 impact was nothing compared to COVID-19, the mortality was relatively low" in comparing with this new virus and what it's turning into.   The difference in percentages in growth rate, transmissibility, and death rate is exponentially worse with the coronovirus, which he called much more lethal.   I agree, he's a national treasure.

I have to also add that I don't ever remember working any outbreak of influenza in this country in which our health care system faced being totally overwhelmed and not able to deal with the number of patients coming pretty much all at once.

We would get really busy in some areas, but not like this.  And now our health care professionals are in the position they haven't had  the personal protective equipment they needed to work.  

And then what happened in Italy and now Spain in which they had to make decisions as to who would get a ventilator and how would not.  I pray we don't reach that point here.  Holding out hope, we don't have to face that here. 

Only certain areas are overwhelmed, and other areas barely register as a blip on the viral radar.  

Washington State is the first to admit that they'll let the elderly die.  

I don't know anything about Washington state having to ration ventilators.  

But make no mistake, any area in this country that is overwhelmed is a major concern to me because it is my country and I am American.  There are no sides in this.  These are mothers, father, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters.  And they all matter.  

And add to that, I have a number of nursing students out there working on the front lines.  I also have friends that are nurses out there on the front lines right now.  Not to mention the doctors that I know and have worked with.  They matter to me quite a bit.  And their safety should matter to everyone as well.  Heart

Edited to clarify:  I literally have scores of nursing students that have since graduated and are out there working as nurses.  One of my former students is working in New Orleans.  Not a pretty picture down there either.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Not wanting to infect your post, so adding here Smiley Happy

Dr. Fauci has previously mentioned 4 times as high.

I think he is a national treasure.

Sadly, there is lots of shading going on about the information.

@Drythe,  In the interview I heard, he said "the H1N1 impact was nothing compared to COVID-19, the mortality was relatively low" in comparing with this new virus and what it's turning into.   The difference in percentages in growth rate, transmissibility, and death rate is exponentially worse with the coronovirus, which he called much more lethal.   I agree, he's a national treasure.

H1N1 had 12,500 or so deaths with up to 60 million Americans catching it.  The government did virtually nothing for six months.  Corona has the advantage that most will have few if any symptoms and sail through it.  We also seem to have a treatment early on.

The H1N1 death toll of about 12,469 was over a period of more than a year (in the US from about April 2009 to August 2010) and a death rate of approximately .02 percent.   The numbers for COVID-19 so far cover only a few months and the death rate already is anywhere from .4 percent to 3.4 percent, and according to Dr. Fauci it is far more lethal and transmissible.   Those percentage differences are important.   So, we can't compare them linearly, to be fair.   It has to be an exponential comparison, and we have to look at all factors.

Also, there's still no proven treatment although I'm hopeful and encouraged to see all the research being done.   And I do pray that most of us who fall prey to this new virus will be well.   Nonetheless, we have to continue to watch the data, of course, and see the growth rate, etc.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Please stop with the spin, @Blahblahvampemer.  The two situations are not the same.  Below is an excerpt from fact check dot org.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were about 60.8 million cases of infection with the novel type of influenza virus in the U.S. between April 2009 and April 2010, with a total of approximately 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths.

While that death toll may sound high, it’s over an entire year and, in fact, ended up being far lower than was initially expected. The strain of influenza also turned out to have a case fatality rate of just 0.02%well below even many typical seasonal influenzas.

Everything that’s known about the new coronavirus so far suggests that it’s an entirely different beast than its most recent pandemic predecessor. Peter Jay Hotez, a professor and dean of the tropical medicine school at Baylor College of Medicine, told us that the new virus, which is known as SARS-CoV-2, is considerably more transmissible and more lethal than H1N1.

For those reasons, he said, “the urgency to contain this coronavirus is so much greater than the H1N1 2009 one was.”

No spin, just facts.  Some of the top doctors in the world are saying, when they're not silenced, that we're overreacting.  The vulnerable can be protected without destroying the world economy and risking a depression.  Health is not created through poverty.  

Things sure would have been different if China hadn't lied for months.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

We have some interesting tangents going here. I guess that's inevitable.

My fears centers on the numbers right now -- how they can grow exponentially due to how contagious this virus is. The number of people who can become infected from just one carrier.

To those asking about my daugher, son-in-law, and two grandchildren who have this virus and of course are self-quarantined, thank you. Other than my daughter who still has a slight fever, they are doing much better.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I beg those people who keep bringing influenza stats into the conversation to listen to the facts about COVID19.  This is not the flu plain and simple, and everyone realizes that sadly people die each year from it (flu)  This virus acts quickly, it is almost "silent" for some people that are infected and others seem to react quite differently and they perish within a couple weeks.  Yes, many many people have recovered, but due to what this virus does to the body (plenty of factual images of lungs infected online) , and how quickly it takes hold, our HealthCare system cannot save people (or their own workers in a number of cases).  These are not common statistics. Lack of Testing, lack of treatment, the breakdown of healthcare providers having sufficient materials, and States with more money outbidding other less wealthy states at a federal level for hospital equipment shows the uneveness of society we live in here in this country.  I am so tired of Hollywood types saying they were able to be tested. Why don't they just stay home and "get through it" and self quarantine like everyone else if they do not feel well. Save those tests for people that have underlying health issues or the elderly.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Please stop with the spin, @Blahblahvampemer.  The two situations are not the same.  Below is an excerpt from fact check dot org.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were about 60.8 million cases of infection with the novel type of influenza virus in the U.S. between April 2009 and April 2010, with a total of approximately 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths.

While that death toll may sound high, it’s over an entire year and, in fact, ended up being far lower than was initially expected. The strain of influenza also turned out to have a case fatality rate of just 0.02%well below even many typical seasonal influenzas.

Everything that’s known about the new coronavirus so far suggests that it’s an entirely different beast than its most recent pandemic predecessor. Peter Jay Hotez, a professor and dean of the tropical medicine school at Baylor College of Medicine, told us that the new virus, which is known as SARS-CoV-2, is considerably more transmissible and more lethal than H1N1.

For those reasons, he said, “the urgency to contain this coronavirus is so much greater than the H1N1 2009 one was.”

No spin, just facts.  Some of the top doctors in the world are saying, when they're not silenced, that we're overreacting.  The vulnerable can be protected without destroying the world economy and risking a depression.  Health is not created through poverty.  

Things sure would have been different if China hadn't lied for months.

@Blahblahvampemer 

Please tell us who those top doctors are.

Honored Contributor

The number of people diagnosed with coronavirus on Long Island has increased to more than 5,000, which is higher than the second-most impacted state nationwide as of Wednesday morning, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

Hospitals around here are full to capacity and the nurses and physicians do not have the necessary ventilators and face masks, gowns etc. I have no idea what the future will be with this virus impacting so many aspects of our lives. Then at times I read how some are comparing it to the flu and minimizing its impact because perhaps it hasn't hit them or anyone in thier own family or circle of friends. It just seems like we are caught in the Twilight Zone and I can't make sense of any of it.

@suzyQ3, I have been thinking of you and your entire family and I am continuing to pray for their health and recovery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nevermind 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

The number of people diagnosed with coronavirus on Long Island has increased to more than 5,000, which is higher than the second-most impacted state nationwide as of Wednesday morning, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

Hospitals around here are full to capacity and the nurses and physicians do not have the necessary ventilators and face masks, gowns etc. I have no idea what the future will be with this virus impacting so many aspects of our lives. Then at times I read how some are comparing it to the flu and minimizing its impact because perhaps it hasn't hit them or anyone in thier own family or circle of friends. It just seems like we are caught in the Twilight Zone and I can't make sense of any of it.

@suzyQ3, I have been thinking of you and your entire family and I am continuing to pray for their health and recovery.

@Trinity11

Very much appreciated!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland