Esteemed Contributor

Re: We have made the news for ignorance in my town

@wvumountiefan wrote:

People should not be vacationing, partying, or going to other states to “get away.” People need to stop thinking of only themselves and do the right thing to end the spread of this virus! 

People can go for walks, go for rides and still practice social distancing. I have no idea why young people think they’re 10 feet tall and bulletproof. When you put other people’s lives at risk and you know you shouldn’t, then that’s the problem. So sad! 

I think this party was adults - not "young people".

But in any case, plenty of adults are doing the same thing.  I have a neighbor who has people at her house all the time. It's constantly social hour for her.   I've heard the same from friends and family all over the US and in Europe too.  Parties and gatherings, and people thinking that if they "know" the other people, it's all okay.  A lot of them are many decades past being young.

None of this is okay.  We're supposed to be staying home with the people we live with. Period.  I'm not sure why this is so difficult.  Sure, no one likes it and it's inconvenient. But - as  you said - lives are at stake.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

Just read an article this morning about a city in Illinois where the mayor's wife was among a group of people caught in a bust.  It seems that the mayor had asked local police to crack down on violators of the governor's stay at home mandate.  The group was caught in a bar that was still operating ilegally when mandataed to close.

From what I read, the mayor told the police chief NOT to spare his wife any of the consequences given to the other violators.  He stated that she is an adult and capable of making her own choices that means also facing the consequences. He also apologized to his city. 

It's just sad to me that people have no regard for others, much less themelves.

I don't know how much I can post of the story but Google "Alton Illinois mayor's wife".

@Pandalady 

I live in the town next to the town you referenced above.  I was shocked to read this myself this morning.  I know the chief of police in the town where this happened and I know he will extend the long arm of the law where this is concerned.  I'm surprised that the mayor himself was not alarmed his wife was out past midnight without him.  Lots of gossip going on in our small community.  But with this happening and the first death from the virus being reported today in our county, I'm all of a sudden much less feeling safe to even open my door to get the mail.   Be safe and best wishes to all.  

Valued Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

Just read an article this morning about a city in Illinois where the mayor's wife was among a group of people caught in a bust.  It seems that the mayor had asked local police to crack down on violators of the governor's stay at home mandate.  The group was caught in a bar that was still operating ilegally when mandataed to close.

From what I read, the mayor told the police chief NOT to spare his wife any of the consequences given to the other violators.  He stated that she is an adult and capable of making her own choices that means also facing the consequences. He also apologized to his city. 

It's just sad to me that people have no regard for others, much less themelves.

I don't know how much I can post of the story but Google "Alton Illinois mayor's wife".

i am not surprised by the wife's actions. apparently, she thought being married to the mayor exempted her. good for the mayor! many in his position would have tried to cover it up.

now if he doesn't come home for 2 or 3 weeks, he can say that he was letting her quarantine.