Respected Contributor

Re: We have a lot of eagles in my neighborhood.

@RINNI wrote:

I do also have a few. Corny,I know, but they make my heart soar !

Not corny at all; they're a thrilling sight.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 Hi Kachina.  I live in Northern Connecticut.  In our little town there is a canal that provided transportation from the Connectcut river rapids for early shipping.  It was a boon for shipping in the 1800's but was not used for a long time  My town reclimated the canal area and volunteers cleaned it up with help from a paper manufactuer on the canal and the local electric and gas company.  

That was several years ago and now the canal site is a beautiful area for walkers and bicyclers, families.  Here is a photo of a juvenile eagle taken at the canal this morning:  Some 40 years ago my Dad w

Honored Contributor

@tobes    They seem to favor wooded areas near water.  You're lucky to have such a perfect environment for them and an enjoyable recreation area for people. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 Yes it took a few years for the eagle population to thrive on the canal.  Our town closed the canal for four Thmonths during breeding season so as not to disturb the eagles.  Now today that are so plentiful that the canal is only closed for a few weeks.  There are many  other species on the canal...cranes, turtles, beavers, possums, blue herons, etc.  There was a black bear seen there as well as foxes, bobcats, etc.  We did not realize it, but because of the eagles we created a sanctuary.  Every year the town and adjoining town places benches, etc., along the banks. Here is a photo of the canal path:  P

Honored Contributor

@tobes   Beautiful.  You're lucky to have this. P

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 PS....the canal begins in Enfield Ct and ends at the locks in Windsor Locks where the canal opens to the Connecticut River...about 5 miles. The Connecticut River begins in Canada runs all the way down through connecticut and empties into the atlantic ocean.  The canal was built by Irish immigrants in the 1800s and a burial place was found where the immigrants who passed away were buried.  The area now is designated as a historical area and the canal and environs is now delegated as a state park.  The connecticut river runs alongside the canal.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Yes.  Before the canal area was cleaned up and polished, my Dad would take his grandchildren there after Sunday mass.  He would point out every tree and flower by name for them and finally produced photographs of the flowers and plants along the canal which became an art exhibit in the town library and at the photographic store in Hartford, Ct and the state capitol.  This was well before the canal was reclamated.  The grands are now in their 50's and still talk  about it. My dad was a photographer and beloved by all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 Here is a local's utube of the canal:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctOfaCWZJg

connectcut river runs beside the canal

Honored Contributor

Its wonderful when parents instill a love of nature in their children.  My parents were like that. We went to national parks and forests for vacations and week-end trips, later went camping.  They would never have gone someplace like Disney World. 

Honored Contributor

@tobes   Beautiful video.  The trail is especially nice since it appears to be handicap accessible.  It looks very much like the paved trail along the Rio Grande through Albuquerque which is heavily used by walkers, joggers, bicyclists and horseback riders.  Less water in the river than you have though.