Honored Contributor

Re: We had an awesome road trip across the U.S!

[ Edited ]

Looks like the Midwest is not only 'flyover country' but also drive-over country.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you enjoyed your trip.  I have done this at least 3 times.  While you were in S.D. did you make it to Wall Drug?   Next time take the Southern Route and include Disney, NASA, New Orleans, San Antonio, Grand Canyon, San Diego.

Honored Contributor

We drive through big cities all the time:  Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas and many others.  DON'T get out at rush hour if you can help it, and if driving through don't take the bypasses--stay on the main interstate in most cases.   

It sometimes gets stacked up, but gosh don't avoid them entirely because of that.  Just expect to be patient and this too shall pass!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.  I totally get what you mean about flying.  We drove three days in Feb from Nova Scotia to South Carolina.  I enjoyed the scenery but I don't think I'll be taking a trip like that again.  We found the big trucks quite aggressive and the traffic was heavy.

I spent a lot of my career in airplanes.  I have seen many changes over the years.  I hate to get somewhere that way but I thought driving was much more dangerous.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Just 2 years ago, I and 3 other people took a trip from Santa Fe to Banff Nat'l Park in Alberta, Canada, going through Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks.  What a beautiful trip that was...mountains almost the whole way.  The Canadian Rockies and their glaciers are beautiful beyond description.  We were gone 2 weeks and stopped and saw anything that looked interesting.

Heres Lake Louise in Banff NP.  The water is turquoise from the glacier melt.  Possibly the most beautiful lake in the world.

image.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

We also did a road trip to Lake Louise and Banff in 2013.  Absolutely beautiful!  We started out from Santa Cruz CA, went to Tahoe and on to Yellowstone, through Montana and into Canada.  We came back through Seattle and then down the Oregon and California coast.

Such an amazing trip. 

Trusted Contributor

So happy to hear that the trip worked out so well for you. It sounds wonderful. I have driven my mom to and from AZ for the last two years and love it. It amazes me how the landscape seems to change every half hour and it is all so beautiful in its own way. Even the mainly empty plains can be beautiful.