Honored Contributor

Re: We had a very close call today

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes we should kill all animals that are doing what they've done long before we humans invaded their space.  Smiley Sad

Seriously, people should learn to live with wildlife since we are moving into their space. It makes me ill people want to kill animals because people choose to live in areas were wild animals live.

I should have never read this thread but I had no idea what it would be about. It makes me sick and sad. The world does not revolve around humans and God wants us to protect and cherish all life on earth, not just human life.  

Smiley Sad

ETA: I forgot to add, something people often don't understand is that it isn't even necessarily that there is a huge deer population but with all our building, we've created these "greenbelts" and "wildlife islands" that are surrounded by neighborhoods which removes the habitat/wildlife corrider many mobile species use to move from area to area, an especially important thing during mating season. It is called habitat fragmentation. If we would leave at least a small corrider connecting one greenbelt to another, this helps to prevent many animals going through neighborhoods or running across roadways. It is a simple step that has proven to be very successful but we refuse to do that because we must develop every inch of ground we can get our hands on then get mad at the animals when the strong desire to mate pulls them to another area that requires crossing "human" populated areas.

I agree that we are overdeveloping, and I don't like it, but don't see how it will stop.

But your post appears to makes the lives of deer more important than the lives of people. 

I don't agree with killing deer just because they are eating people's landscaping, but when people are dying in auto/deer accidents, it's time to get our priorities straight.

Respected Contributor

Why is it the animals fault? Because people are stupid so the animal must die?
There is not a thing on earth that is a living breathing thing that does not fight to live. How disgusting to take that life because you think your life is more important.
Honored Contributor

I believe it was here on this message board someon saying that you can buy a high pitched whistle to put on your car ....  as you approach a deer they often run in the opposite direction, thinking it's danger.

Does anyone else remember this?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I believe it was here on this message board someon saying that you can buy a high pitched whistle to put on your car ....  as you approach a deer they often run in the opposite direction, thinking it's danger.

Does anyone else remember this?

I didn't see it on this board, but I have definitely heard of these whistles.  Would be interested to know if they work as we saw two deer on the side of the road the other night as we were driving home.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I understand about the safety of human beings, but there are things that people can do to lessen the likelihood of such an encounter.

Animals were created first and the outdoors is their  home that we intrude upon.

Honored Contributor

Our country, our world, depends on the delicate balance of all life.  The day we come to think our existence matters to the point where we believe in shoving animal life out of the way, we are in serious trouble.

The balance of nature and animals came way before human beings entered the picture. We have impacted the oceans and the land in a negative way.  It's time we woke up or our descendants will be cursing us.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Where did I say we don't have deer? Oh thats right I didn't. We have deer and I laugh at how people spend tons of $$$ on landscapes that deer will eat.  And then get mad at the deer. You see, they see food they could care less about your so called expensive landscape. Oh btw, my family has garden centers and we sell the deer repellant and the expensive shrubs and flowers. We will sell you those because people would rather buy them then listen to us when we say. Yes the deer will it them.  Even if you put the deer repellant down, THEY WILL EAT YOUR STUFF.  Because they each have to try it before they decide if they like it or not. Nobody wants to buy the plants and shrubs that are naturally repellant of deers.

My point about living in a gated community is that it is in the suburbs and because of building in the area the animals including coyote have no where to go. So what does man do? Oh lets kill the wildlife, how dare they think they can encroach on us? We are humans we take priority over everything.

Human beings are innately arrogant, which is the worst trait that we possess.

I abhor it.

Animals are the far-superior species (whose only M.O. is sheer survival), and deserve to be respected, admired, and revered.

Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:
This is MY opinion. First of thanks be that you nor your family were not hurt, nor was the deer. The idea of culling the dear population is upsetting to me. If it were to provide good healthy protein to those whom otherwise wouldn't have it....thay is a way I find agreeable. There is a hunger issue in this country as in others, and we don't adequately address it. As the deer, also one of the creators children should be honoured and used for good rather than culled for conveinance or trophy. I am not saying anything personal. But it brought up personal memories of my own.
I grew up in England, where animals were revered (at least in my village and family) as gifts to be used when necessary for, food, their hides, and the bones and bucks as instruments in rural areas. My grandad had a victory garden, as did all my aunties and uncles. They hunted for food, not sport. And before each meal thanked our creator for providing such riches as the garden and whatever animal that gave its life to feed us. At times it was quail, and goose, rabbit. Only occasionally a deer which was shared amongst the family. One of my uncles was the game warden and nature conservator for our village. I was fortunate as a child and young woman to learn so much about plants, animals, waterways, etc.
My issue with deers in our time here in the States is that; so many woodlands and forests have been torn down for McMansions, shopping centres, condos, etc that, in many areas the deer have lost their home. They are a nuisance and safety issue for us. But we have taken their natural environment meant. It's like the old song~Joni Mitchell I think..."They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
Edited for three embarrassing spelling errors.

Very well-said, and ITA.

And human beings were created after animals to be their guardians, as much as we possibly can.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't live in the boondocks. There is a big 10 school within about 10 miles from me and also urban sprawl. However, we have lots of greenbelts, and I am glad that we do. It is pretty wooded and lush. We also have a river winding through the area

But today, on our way to lunch a young deer bounded out of the woods, and we almost hit it ,as it ran across the road in front of our car. WE have seen deer so often in this area. We almost  had a huge buck collide with us, as he lept across the road in front of our car ,a few years ago

The problem seems to be, there are people who don't want the herds culled. I don't know what they can be thinking of. Public safety should be number 1 imho

Perhaps that's part of the problem.  I guess from where I sit the larger part of the problem is that as a society we've paved paradise and put up a parking lot...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Every living thing on this planet has a purpose.  Upsetting the balance of nature by thinking that killing is the answer - I cringe. 

People can have their landscaping and wildlife can have their habitats.  Unfortunately it is the human end of the life spectrum that is disrespectful, wasteful, and quite honestly I don't consider us above all other life.  We destroy life, human and animal and consider ourselves better than wildlife??  We destroy our environment, use resources as though they are infinite, consume way too many disposable items - the list goes on.

EXACTLY.