Honored Contributor

Re: We had a very close call today

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

It's all the more heartbreaking that a simple and affordable alternative exists but too often isn't actualized.  It ought to be mandatory with all this 'development at all costs' that's run amuck...

I was recently driving through a wooded neighborhood near my home and saw two large deer standing in someone's front yard, merely trying to cross the street.  They were exquisite and they broke my heart.  I stopped and sat for a long time, as we just watched each other.  Their eyes were so gentle and beautiful.  I can only hope they got to where they were going and that no one shot them or mowed them down simply because they got in the way...  

That is a really sweet story, stevieb. Yes, deer are so amazingly beautiful and once you are close enough to see their beautiful, gentle eyes I don't know how you could kill them for the mere fact that you consider them to be a  "nuisance".

This past hunting season, a buck that lives on my property was shot by a neighbor from his truck on the road right in front of my house. The buck had gone across the street in the Christmas tree farm because there were Doe there. It is illegal to "hunt" this way, he didnt have permission to hunt on that property (my neighbor who owns it is VERY protective of the deer on his property as he feels like they are part of his family) and you are only allowed one buck during the hunting season and he already killed one. I honestly broke down and cried. The sad thing is, the deer around here are use to people and the cars around here so he had no idea he should run when my neighbor pulled up in his car. It was awful. He was so majestic and beautiful.

I'd like to have ten minutes with that jackass and this makes me so angry I wouldn't even need a gun...  And yes, I know, that virtually puts me in his category, the only difference, I suppose, is at least I'd give him a head start...  He knew better, the dear didn't...  I can only hope he was prosecuted, but even if he was, I'd guess a slap on the wrist was about it...  

Stevieb - can I help????  Smiley Mad

It makes you wonder how people were raised. To put such little value on another living things right to live. 

That is not hunting that is just sick and as I said before I wish the same misfortune.

It's simple:  

They weren't ever taught empathy for ALL living beings everywhere, the first  thing that should be taught to children.

Honored Contributor

I love animals and have never killed one but sometimes when they get overpopulated and people start getting killed...then it is has to be done.  My son had a friend in highschool whose mother hit a deer.  The deers hoof came through the front window (drivers side) and she was killed instantly.  We see them lying dead along the highway all the time and, quite frankly, I would rather see them shot for food than die that way.   

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I love animals and have never killed one but sometimes when they get overpopulated and people start getting killed...then it is has to be done.  My son had a friend in highschool whose mother hit a deer.  The deers hoof came through the front window (drivers side) and she was killed instantly.  We see them lying dead along the highway all the time and, quite frankly, I would rather see them shot for food than die that way.   

What comes with overpopulation is starvation.  Hunters, the ethical ones I mean, perform a valuable service.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

What comes with overpopulation is starvation.  Hunters, the ethical ones I mean, perform a valuable service.  

That's so true.  Many people here in Indiana have gotten out of farming and are selling their land for rural additions.  It makes me sad because the first thing to go is the woods.  Seeing less and less woods and there is not enough room or food, like you said.  I can't tell you how sad it is to take a 20 minute ride to the bigger city and see dead deer (2 or 3) almost every day.  Hunting is much more humane and I have never known a hunter (around here at least)  that did not aim to kill a deer in one shot.

Trusted Contributor

Thank goodness you are alright and avoided a bad mishap. That is most important. Where I live there are so many deer. I love  to see them. In our area it is a problem. Dead deer on the road . Drivers either getting killed or badly hurt. I hate to see the deer being disposed of but I understand it has to be done. I love all animals .

Respected Contributor

I always find it amusing people who want to save the deer, don't encroch on their habitat.   Well guess what anyone who lives in a house and drives a car is doing that.  Who is willing to give that up, and why can you do it, but others shouldn't?   Oxymoron.

As for culling, not sure how people mean that, raising hunting limits for hunters would not only reduce herds but put meat on the table.   I know my brother can shoot 4 a year, we can only shoot 2 at the most and a special liscence is required for the second one.

We had an unfortunate incident recently when a small deer somehow jumped into the back yard with my dogs.  He couldn't jump back out.   How he got in a 5' fence is beyond me.   My dogs (dachsund, minpin) are used to deer jumping in with them without incident so when this little guy started running the dogs were in heaven.  By the time I saw what was happening it was too late.   We called the fish and game and pulled him out of the fence for them to collect for data, it was covered in ticks.  Hundreds, the rope we used looked like ants swarming.   Anyone with pets should be leary of those 'cute' deer anywhere near them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

@sfnative~thank you for your kind words. I understand this is a sensitive and decisive topic. I am of the opinion I described in my post and feel strongly about my views. 

This is my belief, and has been written about in the Bible many times. Plus I do care for animals very deeply. 

With that said...to those that have the opposite view, I appreciate your feelings. But, let me say this....while I wouldn't put a young child outside alone to play (animals or not!)  I also do not feel fear when deer or wild turkeys, rabbits, an occasional fox and, an assortment of other animals walk through my backyard or, my neighbours (mostly in spring and what we call 'running season' in the autumn.) It happens in our area regularly. Believe me; these animals are much more afraid of us than we need to be of them. The animals are not predators. 

I do appreciate, respect and fear bears. In my area there is an occasional bear that loses his way and goes thru the neighborhood. It becomes an event. We get phone calls, texts from our police department and even PSA's on TV. Bears are most DEFINATELY to be respected. i don't live in a part of the country that has to be in fear of mountain lions. But believe me, I respect it. Having fences, alarms automated lights, etc. are great ways to deter them. And I'm sure experts have different methods that I as an RN would never think of. 

I do maintain my position of urban sprawl and mercifully remove animals. But until we start revering existing architecture and stop building everywhere there is an empty lot, these animals will innocently roam into neighbourhoods. 

Thanks again SFNATIVE!

Esteemed Contributor

Having read through much of this topic after an absence of a number of days, I feel compelled to share an experience I was forced into by a hunting crazed coucin.

Every few years, I make a trip back east to the state where all of the relatives on one side of the family reside.  About 10 years ago, I was picked up at he airport by one of my aunts and taken to the home of her eldest son for supper.  When we arrived, my cousin Mark, with a huge smile on this face, whisked me and everyone else down to his man cave basement.  He actually manhandled me down the stairs, then through the room and over to a wall, on which were mounted his trophies.  (This all happened so fast - I was honestly befuddled -then furious.)

He took my right hand and placed it on the muzzle of a beautiful moose.  Before I could I could blink, he placd my left hand on the muzzle of a bear.  Then he told his wife "OK, now," and here is his new wife hidden, who steps out and snaps maybe 3 photos.  Everybody laughs it up and asks how many copies do I want.  Little did he know that what I really wanted to do was plant a right cross on his mug.  Then he "educated" me regarding his annual hunting trips to Alaska.

It was a relief to leave that house.  On the way to my Aunt's house, I explained to her my disgust at the entire affair with the trophy photos.  My time was wasted- I was talking to deaf ears.

What my cousin did was for "fun during vacation."  I cannot get past that mentality.