Respected Contributor

We had a strange and somewhat frightening event happen to us today!

This morning my husband and I went shopping and on the way home as we were going down a well used street a police car came down behind us at a rapid speed with his siren going.   The car ahead of us pulled to the side and we did the same thing.  As I was looking in my rear view mirror I noticed that a rather beat up older red car was directly behind us.  He didn't seem to want to pull over for the officer and looked annoyed at us because he had to stop.  

As the police car passed us we suddenly heard a extremely loud bang and the rear window of our SUV completely imploded.  It took a second for me to comprehend what had happened.  I screamed to my husband, are we being shot at.  He was shook but kept his composure and said I don't know what just happened but let's get out of here.  

After I regained my senses I looked in the mirror and noticed the red car backing up and quickly heading down a side street.  Fortunately we weren't very far from our home so we immediately headed there and even before we started to look at our car my husband called the police.  

We then went out to our car and started to search for any bullet holes or anything that could have caused our window to shatter.  While we were cleaning out the thousand of shards of broken glass the police arrived.  The officer looked through our car and didn't find any signs that someone had used a gun but he did say that it was possible that it was a pellet gun.  He also told us a few days earlier he investigated a case where someone in our area had four bullets fired into their car because apparently the jackass behind them felt that they weren't going fast enough.  Luckily no one was hurt.

My husband told the officer that after the window blew out we were so shook that we just headed home and didn't think to try and get a description of the car other than the color.  The officer said that was understandable and we did the correct thing by getting out of the area.

I can't begin to say how upsetting it was.  I was just happy that whatever hit the window wasn't a bullet.  The officer did say that it was possible that a bullet ricocheted and bounced off but he felt that something like that would be unusual.  

We will never know what caused the window to implode but I am grateful that our car wasn't moving at the time.  

Now we get the fun of having to pay a $300 dollar deductible to repair the window.  I can only imagine how much our insurance is going to have to pay to fix all of the damage that was created.  The window is destroyed, the wiper is destroyed and all of the wires that control the lift and defroster are ruined.  On top of all of that we can't get our car repaired until June 18th because they are so busy.  Fortunately we have a second vehicle to use.  

This was a nasty event but I am so relieved that we are both still here and it is only a car that can be repaired.  

There is so much lunacy going on and I am always worried about being out and about.  Now I know that I will be even more vigilant when we are anywhere but in our home.

Honored Contributor

Re: We had a strange and somewhat frightening event happen to us today!

@J Town Girl 

That sounds very scary. Glad you all are ok. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You must have been terrified, I am so glad you and your husband are ok.

There are lots of nuts who think they have been given the green light to behave poorly.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry that happened to you.  That would really scare me too.

Glad you are okay.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

So glad you are okay. If the police car you pulled over for had its dash cam on, it may have footage.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  So scary & upsetting.  All I could think of as I was reading your situation was that little boy in CA that was shot & killed in the road rage incident a couple weeks ago.  So glad they caught those 2 scum bags.  Some people are really crazy.  I used to be friends with someone that was always blowing the horn at other cars thinking they were changing lanes & were going into her.  It was not true.  She just had poor space judgement.  I told her to stop because I didn't want to be the next road rage victim.  Glad I don't associate with her any longer for other reasons.  Glad you & your husband are safe & continue to be. 😊

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl   Glad you are both safe and un hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

What a terrifying experience @J Town Girl . I am glad both of you are OK. Two children were just killed by gunshots, so this is a serious problem in this country.  

Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl , Oh my dear I am thankful right along with you that you both got out of there and home safely.  What a horrid experience.  The physical damage is the least of your concerns.  Take it easy the next couple of days and stick close to home.  That kind of excitement you can live without!  S

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl- How scary! So glad you both are ok.....You just never know....