Honored Contributor

Re: We bought a house online sight unseen

@kittyloo   How exciting!!  I hope you love the house when you see it.

Honored Contributor

Well, you are braver than I!     I hope it goes super well.   When I read that I felt concerned.  It is nice to read the posts of others who have done this and it ended very well.  *Whew!*     That's a relief.   

Honored Contributor

I would never do that...but good luck to you!

I live in the PNW too. Love it here and would NEVER MOVE AWAY. 

Respected Contributor

It's a little risky (what isn't), but it's our new world. We can now buy homes online, or cars from giant vending machines, or have curb delivery. And a lot of high end items go up for auction, handled by phone and online only. All sight unseen previously, except for photos and descriptions. 

Sometimes there are issues, but you might be like many, finding a pearl in the oyster, while also avoiding a lot of the hassle of a draining physical search. Besides, with the housing market right now, you snooze, you lose.

It sounds like you're embarking on a very exciting adventure. I've a feeling you will be delighted with your move. I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear more about it. 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on the new house.  Never heard of anyone doing that.  My head is spinning thinking about the many ways in which that could go wrong.  We've pretty much decided to sell our condo and size up.  A house or townhouse with more room and a yard.  I'm excited about a new home but dreading the idea of house hunting.  

Esteemed Contributor

In our mountain resort community we are staying put but can't believe all the unsolicited messages and post cards from investors ( not interested). Our has gone up many thousands this year and Zillow is projecting a 40% jump just this year. I read a interesting article today in NYT about impact of fire and historic drought on all western states; in Lake Tahoe area one reader mentioned that their property is now uninsurancable and alternative coverage will cost 30-34k for one year (something has got to change).

Honored Contributor

@patbz    And you don't mention the fact that as home prices increase dramatically, so will property taxes.  Mine have already gone up. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I am truly interested in the story ending. Please come back.

Honored Contributor

A dear friend of mi e has 2 daughters, and both unhappily waited for a very long time before they were able to get pregnant, and one of the mamas had a very difficult delivery.

They had lived very far away from family, and miraculously, both of the Daddies were able to get transfers to the Washington DC area. 

The moves had to be made in a matter of days, and each bought her new home online, and were delighted with their choices.

MAY YOU ENJOY THE SAME LUCK, OP!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just can't imagine buying a house without seeing it. The surrounding area is also very important besides the house. Not being close to commercial buildings, very busy streets, the house/yard backing up to a home in the same tract.

I would think that u had someone u know check out the house, the foundation, area and, as others have said, had an inspection by an honest inspector (many are not as they don't want to ruin the sale.) Water and termite problems.

You are very gutsy --- and I wish u the best. Keep us informed.