Respected Contributor

Re: We bought a house online sight unseen

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

In a completely different part of the country.  So excited. 

So we live in the PNW now. Decided to leave the west Coast for various reasons. 

Found a beautiful house in NE Louisiana. Saw photos on Realtor. Com.        Fabulous house and price. 

Pulled the trigger, and it's locked in as ours.

We are flying out tomorrow to view it , and take some vacation time to explore the area. 

So excited to explore a different part of the country.

I assume you had an inspection on the property before purchasing it?

@Trinity11   Hopefully, that was in any contract signed that the sale is contingent upon an inspection.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo About 3.5 years ago, we did the same thing.  We lived in Wisconsin at the time but knew we would be retiring in Texas in 2019 or 2020.  We bought our retirement house sight unseen and didn't physically see it until the day we closed.  IT WAS PERFECT!!!  We retired 2 years ago and absolutely love our place.  We hope your new place is also perfect.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Good luck!!!  We bought a house without seeing it on the basis of the photos and our realtor's recommendation.  When we got to see, not what we expected and decided against pursuing the purchase.  We lost our escrow deposit but that wasn't a big deal.

I would never buy a house without seeing it in person.  Too many factors that can only be determined by actually being there.

Again, good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to you!

I bought this house "as is" but the initial "showing", if you will, was an online thing.

I knew we had some money to make repairs if need be, and in fact, they were necessary, but the lot and the location were interesting commendable!  It's still interesting here.  And the house still needs repairs.

LA is certainly an interesting choice!  Count me in as one who would love to know how things go.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

There is nothing gained by posting cautionary tales.

Super Contributor

I did the same thing almost 18 years ago. From CT to FL. Still live there 😀

Honored Contributor

May I just say that if I had bought a house sight unseen and had unfortunate result I would abstain from posting on this thread.

Best of luck, @kittyloo .  I hope it's all you hoped for and more!!  You have an adventure to celebrate!!

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  I hope the house is perfect for you and wish you a wonderful life in Louisiana.  While I think it was very brave of you to buy sight unseen, life is an adventure and sometimes you just need to take a chance.  Please post pics as I think we (or at least, me) are all excited to see what your new home looks like.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

The market is so hot in so many areas including mine that peple are forgoing inspections and presenting all cash offers to get under contract.

You can always request to withdraw your offer before close. You will likely lose your deposit.

Honored Contributor

What an amazing choice!  I hope you love everything!