Trusted Contributor

Re: We bought a house online sight unseen

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3The buyer makes the written offer, including contingencies, the seller gets to accept or decline.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  You are much braver than I am. I hope the house is everything you want it to be & more. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

My development has always been hot and during times like this it's on fire.  It's a nice location, nice community, nice commute.  Perfect for young families, first time home buyers.

I like to follow the models that are like mine to see how they are furnished and what they sell for.  Someone from a real estate company was banging on doors all day today trying to get people to sell.  This is the third company to do that.  Everyone is posting about it on our Nextdoor page.

I had planned to find my retirement condo on a southern beach last year so I missed the window of good prices.

Hopefully next year things will settle down and there won't be such a sense of urgency.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@decaf, I really don't know how I can make myself more clear here.

A seller can refuse inspection. It's basically an "as is" situation. The buyer can accept or run for the hills.

Now, certainly there are some legal issues as to what the seller must reveal about the house, but that may be dependent on state law.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3The rules and terminology must be different everywhere. I live in a populous state, here "as is" is completely different from "no inspection".  "As is" means the seller is selling the property in the condition you see it, won't make repairs or lower the price even if there's problems found at the inspection.  This "no Inspection" per the seller is all new, with this recent hot market. Buyers are getting burned, no pun intended. Maybe the jargon varies by area. Here, you don't need a lawyer for a RE transaction either.  By state law. That's bad in itself.

I've bought and sold many properties, a couple with a realtor, the rest by myself. The only time I ran into a problem, it was caused by an incompetent  agent.  As a buyer, I would never buy from a seller that refused to allow an inspection and I would never work with agent who would advise me to forego one. The seller and agent are praying a fool comes along with zero contingencies, all cash, even better. 

I stand by my original comment- because there's many unscrupulous home sellers and RE agents, always have an comprehensive inspection. I'll also add this, never use a home inspector recommended by the realtor.  Get your own, someone working only for you. Otherwise, everyone involved just wants the transaction to close, grab their money and run.

You said the buyer would be to "blame". I don't see how that's feasible when the only possible victim in this scenario could be the buyer.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@suzyQ3The rules and terminology must be different everywhere. I live in a populous state, here "as is" is completely different from "no inspection".  "As is" means the seller is selling the property in the condition you see it, won't make repairs or lower the price even if there's problems found at the inspection.  This "no Inspection" per the seller is all new, with this recent hot market. Buyers are getting burned, no pun intended. Maybe the jargon varies by area. Here, you don't need a lawyer for a RE transaction either.  By state law. That's bad in itself.

I've bought and sold many properties, a couple with a realtor, the rest by myself. The only time I ran into a problem, it was caused by an incompetent  agent.  As a buyer, I would never buy from a seller that refused to allow an inspection and I would never work with agent who would advise me to forego one. The seller and agent are praying a fool comes along with zero contingencies, all cash even better. 

I stand by my original comment- because there's many unscrupulous home sellers and RE agents, always have an comprehensive inspection. I'll also add this, never use a home inspector recommended by the realtor.  Get your own, someone working only for you. Otherwise, everyone involved just wants the transaction to close, grab their money and run.

You said the buyer would be to "blame". I don't see how that's feasible when the only possible victim in this scenario could be the buyer.

@decaf, thank you for your post. I have no more to say about this topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I've bought and sold many properties, a couple with a realtor, the rest by myself. The only time I ran into a problem, it was caused by an incompetent  agent.  As a buyer, I would never buy from a seller that refused to allow an inspection and I would never work with agent who would advise me to forego one. The seller and agent are praying a fool comes along with zero contingencies, all cash even better. 

@decaf, thank you for your post. I have no more to say about this topic.

No problem.  I wanted  to shine a light on the latest high pressure tactic used by RE agents and their sellers.  Just because it's legal in some states, doesn't make it fair it certainly doesn't make it ethical. 

Just another example why the RE business has earned such a poor reputation.  Besides damaging buyers, too bad these strong arm tactics also hurt good agents who've made this their full time career.

Honored Contributor

Is it the seller saying "no inspection" or are there multiple offers?  I live in a 75 year old home and if I were to sell and some one came with cash offer and no inspection I would jump at it before I would bother with the other offers.   

Trusted Contributor

This sounds so exciting! I hope your new home is everything you want it to be, and even more! 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

The market is so hot in so many areas including mine that peple are forgoing inspections and presenting all cash offers to get under contract.

You can always request to withdraw your offer before close. You will likely lose your deposit.

We have had 3 houses in our little subdivision come up for sale...they never even got a sign in the yard...all bought site unseen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**