Trusted Contributor

Re: We are now under a Winter Storm Watch

@Laura14  Schools already closing for tomorrow plus all State goverment offices.  I'm more concerned about Wednesday morning and our notorious Black Ice.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh  Me too.  I may work from home if we are open on Wednesday until the sun comes out and blasts everything away if necessary. 

Honored Contributor

The problem in the South is, it almost always rains first.  We're in high 50's today; it's gorgeous out.  But, then it starts raining and the temps drop which means it goes from rain to freezing rain.  So. you get a layer of that underneath the snow.  That's why driving is so treacherous.  Plus, we don't change over to snow tires in the winter.  I live on a hill, so there is no way to get out of my neighborhood without going down a hill one way or the other.  

Honored Contributor

Like @Laura14, I’m also in Atlanta. I did the grocery shopping this morning, along with 3,000,000 others.   We’re hunkered down for the next three days for whatever the weather is going to do. No appointments, no commitments. I’ve charged my iPad, phone and external chargers in case this turns into something really nasty and we lose power. 

It’s currently 58 degrees. Weird weather. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Good luck to the folks in Georgia.  We all remember what happened five years ago when an ice storm paralyzed Atlanta.  Maybe this week, a warm-up is just around the corner.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Here in Wisconsin, the Weather Service is forecasting 8-12" of fresh snow on the ground by tomorrow morning.  This is on top of the 7" that fell last week.  "Oh, the weather ouside is frightful . . ." 

@deepwaterdotter  My husband was scheduled to travel to Wisconsin  today for work through Wednesday but that trip was canceled because of the snow and extreme cold weather. We’ll see but they’re talking -60 windchill for here so you will get it bad up there. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
We are supposed to get 2". I'm thinking this city may be off work and school all week.

-------------------------

It makes me chuckle to think of 2" of snow, shutting anything down, for any amount of time!

Of course it depends on where you live and what you are prepared for. 

I live in Spokane.  So far very mild Winter.  We've had a little snow. not much.  Our winters can be long, but, are rarely severe.  Since some snow is a part of winter, for us, we're quite well prepared.  

Ten years ago, a storm dumped 21 inches of snow in 24 hrs. 

We're not Buffalo and that one kicked our butt Smiley Very Happy

Take care and good luck!

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK They don't have the equipment or material to treat the streets here so until the sun melts it, we're stuck!
Honored Contributor

We were supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow January 18 and 19. We got about an inch or two. 

Tomorrow the Weather Advisory say we are getting about 2-3 inches of snow in the morning. Will be interesting to see what we get. Because the snow is supposed to turn into rain in the afternoon. Then the temperature is dipping into the single digits. 

I hope everyone is careful. It looks like a nasty storm.

Frequent Contributor

I was outside wearing flip flops today and they’ve just closed all the schools in my area because of a winter storm coming our way.  Weather is crazy in Alabama.  To those up north, take care and you are in my prayers.