Honored Contributor

Re: We are now under a Winter Storm Watch

Here in N AL we have been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.  Normally, I wouldn't care so much, but I have a dr. appointment in the morning, and it took me 2 weeks to get in with a med problem.  If I can't get to my appt. (or they're closed) who knows when I'll get in.  If I don't get in by Tuesday at the latest I might as well wait since my pharmacy has to order most stuff and it takes 2-3 days to get it and I'm going to be out of town.  I'm wondering if I should just call and see about rescheduling before the storm.  IDK, we might just luck out.  A lot of times cities south and east of us get dumped on and we get very little.  However, it takes very little to shut the city down.

Respected Contributor

Our Winter Weather Advisory in southwestern Michigan was upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning based on the lovely lake effect snow showers that'll be coming in from the west once the actual storm passes thru later this afternoon. We've got about 6 inches of snow so far, which isn't a big deal, but it's blowing and drifting and for some reason they're not plowing the roads. I got out fine this morning, but it was a bit sporty coming home just now. It's winter and we're used to it, but you'd never get that from the talking weather heads on TV! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  I feel sorry for you living in Georgia and getting snow.  First of all, the state is not prepared for snow storms.  Up north, we are use to it and still some people can't drive in snow.  Stay warm and SAFE.  We had more snow last night but it is 30 today (heat wave) as it goes into the single digits again and -12 during the day this week.  Burrrrrrrrrrrr.  This is for the Chicago area.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  Thanks!  Everyone is coming into town for the Superbowl too.  Double excitement with no preparation! 

I've been here long enough that I know to stay home.  The first time I heard that someone was going to weight down their back pickup bed so they would have traction on the ice, I knew I was not in Jersey anymore.  I told them to let me know how that went since the only vehicle with traction on ice that I am aware of is a zamboni.  They had no idea what that was either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up in the southeast (and also having lived in other states not accustomed to snow and ice), I fully understand and appreciate the reasons they choose to try and be cautious in their warnings and in closing schools, businesses, etc.    

These locales don't have the best equipment, supplies, or trained and experienced human resources to attend to dangerously slippery streets, sidewalks, treacherous steps and other venues.   The people who live there aren't accustomed to the potentially perilous conditions.   In addition, some buildings aren't equipped to handle unusually-frigid temperatures.   I support the decisions, and I sometimes feel a wee bit sorry for the people who have to make them and then find themselves the target of mockery and disdain (disclaimer:   this is a general comment, not directed at posters)  even while they do their best to try and prevent terrible and even tragic outcomes.  

In opting to "err on the side of caution" they do save lives and prevent injuries.   Certainly there's no perfect system, but after being in dangerous weather and also seeing the harm that can come to those not prepared or protected...  I've learned to appreciate the closings and cautionary alerts.   

It's so much better to be warned and to prepare and then have the bad weather fizzle out  than it is to ignore the potential and experience the accidents, injuries, and all the damage that can happen otherwise.   Everyone, please be aware and safe, and stay warm and cozy!    You are that "precious cargo" we hear about, so remember that!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Beautiful post @dooBdoo.  After Snowmaggedon and all those poor people overnight on the interstate, I think Atlanta learned its lesson.  

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1@Havent been snowed in for so many years that I would welcome it.I used to love snow days where you just cozied up at home or took the kids outside to play in it...snowmen,snowballs and the best tobogganing.I even enjoyed shoveling the driveway for a workout.

I really enjoyed the snow when I was living in Virginia, @dex.   It was "new" to this southern gal, and it gave me the opportunity to learn how to prepare and manage in that kind of weather after some rather interesting trial-and-error.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
For Georgia. Let the entertainment begin. Smiley Very Happy

That's funny but be thankful.  Out here in the desert, many people don't know how to drive in the rain.  And I'm not kidding!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

Beautiful post @dooBdoo.  After Snowmaggedon and all those poor people overnight on the interstate, I think Atlanta learned its lesson.  

Thank you, @Laura14.    That was a bad time in Atlanta, for sure.   I'm not far from there, and we get the same roller coaster weather the tri-states seem to share (Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama).    Please be careful, and safe.❤️

Respected Contributor

lol. we are under a wind chill watch tomorrow night thru thursday  Smiley Sad

HEHE.png