Esteemed Contributor

Re: We are in the cone for Hurricane Ian

@Teddixat wrote:

@Hazelfaye.  My brother  and his family are in Fort Meyers about 20 miles from the coast.  We are worried about them and all Floridians.  I'm happy you're with your son and family.  We are praying for the best

My niece and her husband with Milo their dog live there as well.  

I was watching news reports from there earlier and it looked bad.

Respected Contributor

We emerge unscathed here in Lakeland. No damage and no loss of power. That's amazing because 50-75% of our county is without power. 
The continuous howling winds were scary. It has finally stopped raining after two days. 
I appreciate everyone's concern. Thank you

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I hope everyone is safe in Florida.  Hurricanes are one reason I would not live in Florida.  Between evacuations or riding a Hurricane out, no thank you.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Can't believe the number of people under mandatory evacuation orders and refused to leave. Now they need rescue. sMH.

Respected Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

Can't believe the number of people under mandatory evacuation orders and refused to leave. Now they need rescue. sMH.

Well as one put it - with the price of gasoline and the cost of hotels, I simply couldn't afford it - I just don't have the money.

I imagine there are many people in that situation.  It's so easy to judge when you have enough - many don't.

Respected Contributor

And as to first responders having to risk their lives, a boat with migrants fleeing Cuba - in the middle of the hurricane, caused the Border Patrol and Coast Guard to attempt rescue.  They did rescue four and are continuing to search for the rest (apparently the boat sank.)

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

We emerge unscathed here in Lakeland. No damage and no loss of power. That's amazing because 50-75% of our county is without power. 
The continuous howling winds were scary. It has finally stopped raining after two days. 
I appreciate everyone's concern. Thank you

Happy you did not have damage.  We did not lose power and the wind had died down by midnight.  Sorry for the other folks, but so thankful Ian took a turn!

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

Well as one put it - with the price of gasoline and the cost of hotels, I simply couldn't afford it - I just don't have the money.

I imagine there are many people in that situation.  It's so easy to judge when you have enough - many don't.

Hopefully you could stay with a friend.  Evacuating is very difficult when you are older.  Especially if you don't drive!

Honored Contributor

I hope every one in Florida made it through the storm safe & unharmed.

Continued thoughts & prayers!

Honored Contributor

@Hazelfaye wrote:

Thanks for all your thoughts I just wanted to let you all know I had 2 sons, my younger one past away 4 months ago.....tonight my remaining son is picking me up and taking me to his house, his girlfriends parents are going there too......he lives in the same hurricane zone as me,  so still nerves frayed, but at least I won't be all alone and that makes a big difference to me, makes me less scared

@Hazelfaye 

I'm praying you, your son & family are safe.

I'm so glad you were able to be with your family during this awful storm.

Please check in when you can!