Trusted Contributor

Re: We are in the cone for Hurricane Ian

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother   Initially the eye was supposed to come directly over us but this has now changed. Our highschool is an evacuation center ( about an hour drive from downtown) so we're waiting to hear tonight whether there will be school this week or not. This is the first one that could affect us since moving to Florida but we've dealt with the aftermath in other places we've lived (Hurricane Isabel was a nightmare). DH has already been briefed to WFH as the main road to his office (on the bay) is only 3 feet above sea level so it will be submerged due to the tidal surge. I have not heard what the hospital will do so unsure where I will be. 

Food, water, gas and back up power are all in place. All we can do is wait and see. 

Stay safe @fairydogmother  and all who are in the path. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

Prayers for safety for you and all impacted by this hurricane! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@fairydogmother   Initially the eye was supposed to come directly over us but this has now changed. Our highschool is an evacuation center ( about an hour drive from downtown) so we're waiting to hear tonight whether there will be school this week or not. This is the first one that could affect us since moving to Florida but we've dealt with the aftermath in other places we've lived (Hurricane Isabel was a nightmare). DH has already been briefed to WFH as the main road to his office (on the bay) is only 3 feet above sea level so it will be submerged due to the tidal surge. I have not heard what the hospital will do so unsure where I will be. 

Food, water, gas and back up power are all in place. All we can do is wait and see. 

Stay safe @fairydogmother  and all who are in the path. 

Are you in Tampa? I live in Lakeland 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

my sister was supposed to travel to orlando for a big business meeting on tuesday. they have cancelled the meeting and are going to try to reschedule for next week.

for all of you in the path, be prepared as much as you can to stay safe!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother About 20 some miles away from Tampa. We're 25 feet above sea level and not in a flood zone, so we're good.

Our schools just closed as of 10 minutes ago for the week. Our HS and Middle School are now being prepared for evacuees and medical rescue (we are a designated site for both). DH is now officially working from home but looks like I'll be at the hospital; packing my bag for the stay.

Stay safe in the Lakelands. Hugs.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee @fairydogmother and others in the storm path, stay safe.  We are wishing the best for you!

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal @we were the lucky ones this time.  Minimal damage on my property but not so in others areas.

Crews are working around the clock to get things back to normal.  Today we have thunder, lightning and rain which will make cleanup more difficult.  It's the season for rolling seas but I am sure the cruise ships weather those well.

I haven't heard anything specific about the waterfront.  I am sure they will work to see it cruise ship ready.  I hope your son enjoys the trip.  If Sydney, Cape Breton is on the trip list, they have suffered massive damage.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother   Once Ian clears Cuba and is in the open Gulf, we will get a better look at it and it's path.  

I am closer to the coast than you are.  We plan to go to a block house Wednesday night...just in case!  I don't like it coming by at night!  Daytime, I can handle.

Just be prepare for the worse and hunker down!  

During Irma, I was very close to where you are and we did not have any damage (a few roof shingles) but when we opened the door, we could see 2 30 ft trees uprooted.  Only minor damage to the homes.  We were in the Sandpiper Golf Club homes.

Stay safe.  Watch TV and act accordingly. 

We were without power for 12 hours!  Cold showers don't feel good at all! 

Luckily, the phones worked so we could watch TV for updates!  We watched the eye come right across that area.  You could feel the stillness of the 'eye' and then it started again....but not as bad on the back side. 

This storm is moving much slower right now.  That is scary.  We don't need 10 inches of rain over 2-3 days.

Hwy 54 From Hwy 98 to SR 301 was flooded and unpassable for about 18 hours. 

No serious damage in Zephyrhills area.  We were blessed.

Stay safe! 

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for all of you in Florida.  My DIL is from St. Pete and her mother still lives in the area.  She is in a ground floor apartment but is not in a flood zone.  She has food and water and says she is staying.  DIL is concerned, but can't make her mom do anything she doesn't want to do.  So we will all be worrying about her till this is over.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Zhills I live across from Sandpiper, in the North Fork neighborhood 

Harmonize the World