Esteemed Contributor

Re: We are in the cone for Hurricane Ian

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother 

Your post reminded me to reach out to two of my girlfriends that live in Florida. One is in Jacksonville, she reported via text that she stocked up today and that she is gassed up. 

My other girlfriend, I gave her  a phone call since we needed to catch up. She lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and she is prepared as well, all though she did mention that tomorrow they would be heading out to gas up the automobiles. I guess originally the plan was today but she said that it has been raining cats and dogs.

I pray for you and of course my friends to pull through this with minimal damage and of course your safety.

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ 

If there's time, freeze large empty containers filled with water.  Then place in large coolers, styrofoam containers, or even buckets that can be covered to keep the cold in.

Hopefully, all your fresh foods can be protected.....

Make sure you have large containers for drinking water !!!!

Good Luck ,

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz VERY good advice ...unfortunatley, i have zero room in my freezer to put anything in except a bag of ice, which i will replenish Monday. I have water that i got on Friday.

Thank you for your kindness! 

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother  My cousin is south of Ft Meyers and has prepped also. She said they were dismantling the Lani. 
  I'm in VA with huge trees and am cautiously watching it's path!  
  Everyone keep safe!

⛈🌪🌧🌳💨🌲🌳

Honored Contributor

Best of luck to you and your family, fairydogmother. I hope the hurricane misses you (and all others).  Stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Yup, i live in Sarasota. I know the feeling. Being a little nervous is normal and actually makes you prep more which in my eye is never a bad thing.

Reminds me i forgot to get gas like I had planned to yesterday after work after another errand. . Luckily Tampa/ Sarasota area has not been threatened often like New Orleans, Miami, Pensacola etc.  

I happen to have a lot of fresh food ( way more than normal in my fridge and freezer) that i just purchased last week after my hospital stay  to avoid buying fast food daily as i had been doing. If i lose power i am going to be miffed at my timing on that! 

I hope Ian stays a tropical Storm and moves fast.  Best wishes to all in the Cone of Uncertainty.

My hubby always fills gas cans at the start of hurricane season-a total of fifty gallons. So we can keep the generator fired up and our cars filled. And a couple months ago we invested in a four week emergency rations supply.

I hope you don't lose power. Keep in touch 🥰

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prayers for you and everyone in the projected path of this storm. You are smart to be well-prepared with a generator and supplies. Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother  et al, thinking of you.  We just came through Hurricane Fiona.  Be safe.  I think this is an active storm year.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

My nephew is in Destin, FL (the panhandle).   They still don't know exactly where it will hit.   He's not too worried about it, he grew up in the northeast where we have all kinds of weather!   Still a Cat 4 is nothing to toy with.

I hope everyone can stay safe and yes, preparedness is key!   Good luck to all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 Glad to hear you made it through Fiona okay.  My son is leaving on a cruise ship later today out of Boston and heading up to your neck of the woods.  I hope the waves have calmed a bit for them!