Honored Contributor

We are facing some bad weather this week end

I watched a youtube video of our worst ever storm on  Youtube back in 1977 or 76. I can't recall which

It was a doozey, we had National Guard come through in a half track to help people who were in serious need

A sick child went to the hospital in a fire truck, because it was the only thing big enough to get through the snow

Women in labor went to the hospital on snow mobiles...If anyone is interested I will try to find a video to show you what it looked like

Anyone in the path of this storm be careful. We have already got extra food  in ,and tomorrow we will get gas for our snow blower

Trusted Contributor

Re: We are facing some bad weather this week end

@cherry  In Buffalo, NY we has the blizard of 1977, and it was a historic snow storm.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00  then you remember just how bad it was..This is only supposed to be about 8 inches plus , so  it won't be too bad, unless they miscalculate

Respected Contributor

It's winter. It snows. The Weather Channel says we're getting about a foot of snow. The National Weather Service says we're getting 4 inches. I'm gonna go with the NWS forecast. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@cherry  In Buffalo, NY we has the blizard of 1977, and it was a historic snow storm.

We have had some doozies, haven't we. Remember "Snowvember" in 2014? Some areas like West Seneca and East Aurora got up to 8 feet in just a few hours, while the city of Buffalo and the Northtowns only got a couple of inches. And the October Surprise back in 2006 was a beaut too. And the one just last November when we were at 60 degrees one day, the wind came howling in, dropped the temperature down into the teens overnight and dumped a foot of snow. Yup, the weather here in Western NY is certainly not boring!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry  We are getting slammed here in the pacific northwest. 4 straight days of snow/ice storms and now severe wind storms. It's a mess. I hope you are able to weather the storms where you are, and that everyone stays safe. It sounds like you are well prepared.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

We have a generator ,so we will have power, and that is a big relief

Respected Contributor

I hope everyone stays safe in the bad weather.

@cherry, we were even hit with the blizzard of 1977 here in Kentucky.  I remember it well.  We were socked with snow after a big ice storm.  I was a new nurse and there was no way I could get to work.  My car was just a blob in the parking lot of the apartment.  We had barely any snow removal equipement around here at the time, so you couldn't even tell where the road was. 

But never fear....the National Guard came to pick me up. And I didn't think we were going to make it to the hospital in that vehicle!!  But we did.  It was a nail biting trip for sure.  I spent 4 days and 3 nights at the hospital working.  And the only way I made it home after finishing that 4th day was that the snow had melted enough that my father having been stationed in Maine and South Dakota put chains on his tires and came to get me.  I don' think they ever really got around to clearing all the roads from that storm, we just had to wait for it to warm up and let the sun do its job.  Businesses were shut down for well more than a week.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry different forecasts up here.

Weather Channel forecasts 3-5 but Accuweather says 8-12.

Long weekend for this so staying in for sure!

Occasional Contributor

Oh, I remember SnowVember 2014!!  Am in West Seneca.  Six feet of snow overnight. Fortunately husband has a buddy w/a friend who owns his own backhoe.  That's how we got "plowed out".  Surprise October storm was a month before got married (2006).  That storm came in on Thursday night 10/12 and Friday the 13th was so much wet, heavy snow.  Lost so much of my back yard tree limbs.  That was a job hauling it all out!  No power for two days, and i was one of the lucky ones!  Then the weekend warmed up and by Monday it was all gone.  You know what they say about Buffalo weather - if you don't like it, just wait five minutes!!!  Retired this past fall and looking forward to watching out the window with a cup of coffee!!!