Honored Contributor

Re: We are Under a Heat Advisory!

I'm in the metro-DC area and we have many heat advisory days every summer.  Just a way of life around here.  But I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.....at least for now.

Respected Contributor

I heard this once about the "seasons" here in Georgia.  We have four seasons:

Almost Summer

Summer

Still Summer

Christmas

Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

This is one of the greenest summers I can remember in Wisconsin. We are averaging almost two inches of rain a week and the grass has never turned brown.  Although it is sometimes humid, our thermometer has yet to hit 90. I cannot complain.

Respected Contributor

I am visiting my mother in NY and its so hot and humid and I have been in and out all day. The whole east coast is humid and hot! 

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

We have been under one all this week and going into last week. Only reason I know is it pops up on my tablet. I don't use AC in our home, or in our patio room, but do use it there when my wife is home. Woke up in patio room at 6 this morning and our gauges said 85°/85% humidity. I do have a commercial type fan that moves lots of air, and anything else lying loose in this room.

We have a portable AC in the Master bedroom where she sleeps and where most of our furry kids spend the hot days and nights. Since my wife has been, and will be gone the rest of the month on her "In home Pet Sitting Business( owner's homes), have not had AC in patio room where I spend a lot of my time, including sleeping in my recliner.

Do keep the master AC on, but set at mid 80's temperature, cool and humidity free enough for our furry ones that occupy that room. I do spend more time with them when she is gone sitting, but not for myself to cool down.

I will say that this last week I did go ice skating 4 days and do use the AC in the car. Also wear long sleeve T and hooded sweatshirt when inside near the ice. Cool to start, but as I increase my skating speed and duration, I start peeling off the hat/jacket and gloves. Always wringing wet when I am done skating. Now that I can actually skate again, I use this a part of that days fitness workout, and do the rest when I get back home.

Heat isn't a problem for me because of where I worked/raced(auto type or with my feet)/played or ref'd hockey games, and did all my training. Spent most of my days in high temp areas and/or involved in high body heat hobbies and/or sports activities. My age has not seemed to change that for me.

Everyone just be careful in the extreme heat as I do know for many, it is very dangerous. I know this too will pass, and for me, doesn't really effect me or what I do, but I am always aware of my core temperature, and act accordingly if I know it is too high. That dumb, I am not.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It needs to cool off so I can b**** about that! Woman LOL

I never b**** about Winter(unless it's to hot)! I love the cold, cool, crisp air/wind and snow! I also like the shorter days when it gets dark earlier.  I hate Summer. I like Fall and Spring too(unless they are to hot also).

Can you tell I like the cold!...lol!!🐧

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I keep my A/C on 73 or 74.  When it's as hot as it is now (94 at this time) it doesn't cool below 75, sometimes 76.  That's usually okay, because it's still running and I can feel it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Yesterday it was hotter where I am on Long Island than it was in Miami. It's only 82 right now and the humidity feels a bit less than yesterday, too.  I have run my A/C all day yesterday and today, but that's the first 2 consecutive days of ugly heat and humidity we've had, so I'm trying not to be as crabby about the heat as I was when it seemed as if April lasted almost until the end of June and I was still running the furnace when the calendar said summer.

@millieshops, I'm on the Island too, I've been shut in all day with the a/c running. I just checked Accu weather and it says the humidity is down to 48%!  You're right about yesterday, it was brutal.

Valued Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I never b**** about Winter(unless it's to hot)! I love the cold, cool, crisp air/wind and snow! I also like the shorter days when it gets dark earlier.  I hate Summer. I like Fall and Spring too(unless they are to hot also).

@Starpolisher, I love your post!  I detest summer and just love the cold weather. Fall & Winter are my favorite seasons, I should move to Alaska, lol...

Respected Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Starpolisher, I love your post!  I detest summer and just love the cold weather. Fall & Winter are my favorite seasons, I should move to Alaska, lol...

@Sueliz

Me too!

I've actually been to Alaska in summer. My aunt(now deceased)retired there from NYC. I loved it! No HUMIDITY and lots of beautiful mountains in every direction! The only thing is the cost of living is very high.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran