Esteemed Contributor

Re: We apparently are never going to get rain again

We have the monsoon season.  Worst season since they began keeping records decades ago.

Honored Contributor

Still no rain in sight in my area, until at least Friday and even that is iffy.

I didn't mention in my original post because I think I'm psychologically trying to block it out, LOL, but I had to replace the grass in my entire yard in early October because the grass/sod that the builder planted failed.

So, the new sod was planted and it requires watering every day or every other day for 4 weeks.  I have a really large backyard.  And so, I have been hand watering for almost 4 weeks, with no help at all from any rain and it is taking a physical toll to be honest.  It takes a long time to do it and while this Friday marks 4 weeks, if we continue to have no rain at all do I just stop cold turkey?  I'm going to call the landscaping company tomorrow and check on that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I expect you will need to water that new sod until you have a soaking rain.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@gidgetgh 

I expect you will need to water that new sod until you have a soaking rain.  

@RedTop - it is Bermuda sod. I know they said to water it for 4 weeks so that it can root and it's doing really well and they also talked about it going into its winter dormant period.   A few of the other yards here, that haven't also died, are starting to go dormant so I'm to call and ask the landscaper.  I have watered the heck out of the grass, it is a long process each time, and I never dreamed that we would literally have no rain at all in over 60 days. My guess is that they will tell me when the 4 weeks are up this Friday, to slowly start cutting back.  At least I hope so.  This is very hard on me physically. A large part of why I moved here was the no lawn maintenance thing and I feel like all I have done is yard work.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?