Respected Contributor

We Need Rain on the West Coast

We need rain on the west coast. Not a monsoon, not a flooding rain, not a mudslide rain. We need a gentle normal rain to put out all the fires, to keep firefighters safe, to keep residents safe, to keep the animals safe, to save the homes and businesses, and to give the parched land a drink.

Some areas in the West have broken records and haven't had any rain for 5 months.

I'm just sayin' ...

Honored Contributor

Re: We Need Rain on the West Coast

I agree! Almost the entire western half of the US needs rain. I'm in Colorado. Just look at us. It is as dry as the moon here. Utah is even worse!

usdroughtmonitor-weekly-ndmc--web--2020-09-15.png

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

We need rain on the west coast. Not a monsoon, not a flooding rain, not a mudslide rain. We need a gentle normal rain to put out all the fires, to keep firefighters safe, to keep residents safe, to keep the animals safe, to save the homes and businesses, and to give the parched land a drink.

Some areas in the West have broken records and haven't had any rain for 5 months.

I'm just sayin' ...

@Desert Lily  Now they will have the issue of mudslides and flooding  when the  much needed rain does come. 😢

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At my house, slightly NW of Albuquerque, I haven't had more than a brief 15 min shower in July, since early last Spring.  About 3" of precip this whole year.  Look at NM, Co, Az, Ut, Nv, on the map.  We've been in the drought since at least 2006, some say earlier.  Many places are in a sorrier state than California.  Yes, we all desperately need rain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Asking our lucky stars in the Universe to please sprinkle nice, gentle raindrops onto all of the land in need. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

Yes, the Four-Corner states have been battling drought forever it seems. I can't  remember the last time we didn't have watering restrictions here....it's been so long. It used to be illegal to collect rain water in barrels in the state of Colorado. But two years ago they ditched that law. It's about time.

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  Every day I wish rain for you.  We are from Santa Rosa, Ca  it breaks my heart, I’m so sorry the west coast is going through this. This was our home for most of our lives. My husband was born in Petaluma.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I pray for rain to put out these horrible fires.  I have a good friend that most likely lost his house a few days ago.

He was able to grab the important papers, his animals and get out in time.  My heart breaks for him and his wife.  Last I heard, he did not know if his house is gone, but knows that most of his neighbors homes are gone, so his probably burned to the ground as well.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I live on Mogollan Rim (White Mtns AZ) and we usually get Monsoons, every afternoon July 15 through October. This year we haven't had any noticeable rain during Monsoo Season and we have actually had to water every day so we don't lose any more trees (lost one very small evergreen last month).  I believe in Climate Change!

Respected Contributor

Here in the SF bay area, we rarely get rain between May and November.  We did get a brief shower overnight last week which was welcoming.