Esteemed Contributor

Re: We (Finally) Took the Plunge

@Moonchilde wrote:

It so depends on where you live, and the wiring/cabling in your house and neighborhood. ATT wired my old neighborhood for U-Verse after a 5 year wait. The housing/wiring in the houses and apts was old as well as the general telephone infrastructure.  My installer direct-wired me from the telephone pole somehow so I had a pristine connection. He said if he didn't my service would suck.

I never had 1/10 the trouble or hassle with U-Verse that I had with TWC. In two years it went down exactly twice that inconvenienced me - one nationwide outage and one other time for 2-3 hrs. In two years. I had one cable box die. They told me if I had a technician bring me a new one it would be $250. The tech came, verified that the box had totally imploded and gave me a new one. I was never billed. I had zippy fast (the fastest they offered) internet.

I think it's just like cell phone service it depends on several circumstances. ATT cell service would be useless where I am now.

@Moonchilde

Here's the "funny thing" about our development, all of our wiring is underground and I love it BUT the service as far as the telephone company stinks!  I was happy when high speed internet was introduced by the cable company but their television line up stunk too. So, we have three different companies for three different services and so far so good.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Valued Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I haven't had a landline for like 20 years.

Never missed it.one.single.time.

Exactly the same for me, @QueenDanceALot

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, I heard a LOT of bad about U-Verse online so was kinda hesitant, even though I badly wanted to ditch TW, who kept jacking up their rates. What convinced me was TV with all but the top HBO- type channels tier, and fastest internet, plus phone, for $135/mo for 2 years. It saved me $75+ per month! I'm very grateful I got that particular installer. If I'd gotten someone lazy my experience might have been a lot different 😟

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think people who do this are very glad to have one less bill.

It isn't something that we will be doing, though. We live rural and until very recently we couldn't get cell signals on the property or in the house, especially. We can now, but sometimes we still will drop.

We also have our internet through our landline service. So for us, it is still somewhat necessary to keep the landline.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Sounds good.  Do you have a desktop or laptop PC?  If so, how do you get internet?

I could be wrong, but I don't think she said she cut her internet - just her landline.

MGM - Good for you!  I would like to do that, also, but the alarm system depends on it.    I even told the husband that I'd be willing to cut the alarm system, too, but he wouldn't go for it.

I do have an extremely high need for feeling safe, due to never feeling safe as a child, but I keep EVERYTHING pretty pretty pretty locked up!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt, you and i spoke about this several months ago,my alarm system allwows cell phones,i have not had a landline in 4 years.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom, our power goes out here what I consider "a lot", since in LA you could go a year or more without *one*, and even in my (literally) old neighborhood maybe once every 2-3 months for a few mins. Here it goes out once a month in good weather and sometimes once or twice a rainstorm in winter, i.e. frequently. I attributed the winter outages to underground lines, but we have a lot of above-ground lines that are in some ways more vulnerable I guess. 

It's going to take this city girl quite a while to get used to kwap internet & cell reception, frequent power outages, using well water, and septic tanks and all the things you CAN'T put down the garbage disposal or the toidy. Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde

WELCOME to my world.. Woman LOL

I'm a NYC/NJ transplant and it does take some getting used to.  The septic 'thing' was a big shock for moi..no power, no nothin'! 

Our electric company rewired our county after Sandy and we haven't had any power outages since I can remember. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

goldensrbest wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Zhills wrote:

Sounds good.  Do you have a desktop or laptop PC?  If so, how do you get internet?

I could be wrong, but I don't think she said she cut her internet - just her landline.

MGM - Good for you!  I would like to do that, also, but the alarm system depends on it.    I even told the husband that I'd be willing to cut the alarm system, too, but he wouldn't go for it.

I do have an extremely high need for feeling safe, due to never feeling safe as a child, but I keep EVERYTHING pretty pretty pretty locked up!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt, you and i spoke about this several months ago,my alarm system allwows cell phones,i have not had a landline in 4 years.

Hi Goldens!  I thought I had been in a conversation about this not long ago, but my memory is just awful now.  Smiley Sad

Anyway, the way they explained it to me is that it's not just about a contact number.  It's about the fact that the way our security system is, is that it is hooked up through the landline so the landline is a part of the system.    I don't know if that makes sense.  It sort of made sense to me.

I guess the only way to preclude that would be to have a completely different type of system installed.

Esteemed Contributor

The set up for my Fios is inside of my home in the basement.  The landline never worked properly with fios.  It never worked well before Fios and I had regular phone coverage by Verizon.  I always, always had dropped calls they couldn't figure out why.  Verizon also does bill cramming.  They charged me for calls I never made and I would have to call and get them to take it off.

Problem there was no other local provider for us.  Then some VOip came into play, but I figured I didn't want to bother with needing to use my computer to make a call, so I stuck it out with Verizon.

The only thing worth my money from Fios is internet and t.v.  Their  phone service is really bad and so was their cell service.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Moonchilde

WELCOME to my world.. Woman LOL

I'm a NYC/NJ transplant and it does take some getting used to.  The septic 'thing' was a big shock for moi..no power, no nothin'! 

Our electric company rewired our county after Sandy and we haven't had any power outages since I can remember. 

OMG @MyGirlsMom I forgot about that! I learned that here in the forums. I haven't had to "use the facilities" when the power was out yet and would not have known that. We have had days or nights where the power was out 4-6 hrs. Quick trip to McD's? At least they'd have good wifi, lol.